Best NAS to use with Roon server and Core

Considering that a 24/192 PCM stream is 10 Mbit/s … :wink:

Indeed. But I do have some DSD256 over DoP…

OK then :slight_smile:

1 Like

For sure. Should not hurt, and might help if you stream multiple DSD streams or do something else with the NAS at the same time. For anything sane though, 1Gb should be sufficient…

I have a 11 year old Synology DS1813+ that I feel is getting a little long in the tooth - It’s been a work horse, but I don’t want to press my luck… I don’t run Roon on it, but it does hold my library of 174k tracks -

I ordered its replacement, a Synology DS1522+ with 16GB of RAM. The CPU is a AMD Ryzen R1600 / 2.6 GHz. There’s 5 8TB Iron Horse drives that I plan to use as the volume that holds my library. I plan to use the old NAS to back up to from the new NAS. I was thinking about taking the plunge, and move my Core to the NAS.

before doing so, I thought it wise consult the experts and have a couple of questions - Reading some of the posts, this set up seems like it may be able to handle running Roon - is this assumption true?

If so, my second question is, I was thinking about creating a second volume from the 2 built in M.2 slots solely for the Roon Server / db . (as apposed to using a external SSD) I was reading about the Synology SSD Cache feature, and it didn’t seem like there would be much benefit of using those drives for cache when the primary usage of the NAS was streaming music via Roon - But again, I don’t really know, so any input would be great… Thanks!

@Peter_Gallagher the 1522+ is exactly what I use, and I love it. It works flawlessly.

I recommend exploring the 4+1 setup I describe in my post. But I see that you have 5 drives already, so that might not be the option for you, although frankly I would recommend making the shift if you can. There is some data around these parts that suggests ways that the cache can be used for the Roon database, but it’s not officially supported by Synology for such use.

1 Like

According to my experience, it will work with the AMD Ryzen R1600 powered Synology even if your library is rather on the large side of what I would want to have been handled by a NAS.

It is not possible to predict how smooth it will be running in terms of snappy browsing while handling more demanding multiroom tasks. If your library is complex in terms of very big files, lots of boxsets, unidentified albums and lots of references, it might bring some stress to the core. If you browse your library while running several broad streams like PCM752 > DSD256 crosscoding, you might encounter delays or sluggishness. That is not what a dualcore based NAS is made for.

If your library is fairly easy to handle by roon and you do not expect crazy multiroom actions, chances are high you will be happy with that setup.

I would recommend to run roon´s internal database on the M.2 volume separated from the big volume for the files. Cache is not really necessary in this case.

1 Like

If your library is fairly easy to handle by roon and you do not expect crazy multiroom actions, chances are high you will be happy with that setup.

I would recommend to run roon´s internal database on the M.2 volume separated from the big volume for the files. Cache is not really necessary in this case.
[/quote]

Thanks @Arindal & @DDPS for the info…I truly appreciate it.
Our Roon setup is multiroom - It consists of 5 endpoints all synced in one group - Not sure if that will be too much of a load, but I guess there’s only one way to find out… I like the idea of trying to install the Core on its own volume on the NAS’s SSD’s -

Is the current preferred install method still to follow Chris Rieke’s Roon On NAS page?

If you play mainly PCM stereo files up to 96kHz sampling rate and use a decent amount of DSP, the NAS´s CPU would not even notice the load of 5 zones. DSD crosscoding, DSD multichannel and applying DSP on DSD128 files or higher is really eating up CPU power and I would not recommend to do that on 3 zones or more simultaneously while browsing.

1 Like

I use 1522+ successfully, but I do have a smaller library.

If you are planning on never using the Synology for anything else, you could use M.2 slots for a separate partition, but honestly it feels like a waste (and I believe configuring M.2 slots to be a partition instead of a cache would be a hack for that model).

Running them as designed with sufficiently large SSDs would provide the same performance, as well as increasing performance for other NAS usages.

2 Likes

I should correct my earlier statement: Synology does in fact officially support M.2 SSDs as storage pools in certain models now:

2 Likes

I’m trying to install RoonOnNAS on a Synology DS420j running DSM 7.2.1-69057 Update 5. The manual install fails with an ‘icompatible with the current version of DSM’. Does anyone have any tips about how to install it, or even know if it’ll run on this NAS?

That model uses an ARM architecture and cannot run Roon. You need one that runs an Intel/AMD (“AMD64”) architecture.

1 Like

The Asustor I just bought is the Asustor AS5404T, 4 Bay NAS, Intel Quad-Core 2.0GHz CPU, 4X M.2 NVMe SSD Slots, 2x2.5GbE Ports, 4GB DDR4 RAM.

That unit is equipped with a Celeron N5105 so it is the perfect choice if your roon library is not overly huge (north of 100,000 tracks). Would recommend to expand the memory to at least 8GB. I guess these units also support 12GB of RAM.

Is there any chance that RoonOnNAS would be developed to run on ARM chips?

Is there a Asus Amd Mini pc or a Nuc 13th gen that would work as roon server and Nas ?

That Asustor flashdrive looks nice but a celeron for roon? With DSD and convolution filters ?

Yes, the most powerful Celerons like N5105 in the Flashstore are absolutely sufficient for running DSD and convolution filters in roon if the library is not overly huge. Same with Roon Nucleus One.

2 Likes