Best native DSD DACs for use with HQPlayer?

Odd. That one worked for me. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

AK4499EX chip

PCM1536 and DSD1024 on USB input !

Need to see the user manual if manufacturer has allowed user to enable DSD Direct mode

Digitally controlled analogue volume control looks good

1 Like

ā€œ Digitally controlled analogue volume controlā€
may not support DSDD?

New DAC&headphone amplifier which built with ak4499ex will be launched by Gustard.
The matrix relay volume may be used on this product.

Yes i wrote:

Thereā€™s already Topping and SMSL using AK4499EX

But this Yulong is first to offer PCM1.5 MHz and DSD1024 on USB input

2 Likes

There is a DAC Only Mode, so maybe.

Yeh Id seen that but wouldnā€™t spend USD999 on a maybe.

Canā€™t find the user manual yet

Iā€™ll email Yulong.

2 Likes

Keep us posted as I too am curious.

2 Likes

At the moment there isnā€™t really something at the USD1000 mark, that actually performs better than the SMSL D-6 - that Iā€™ve seen anyway.

You need to go to Holo Spring line to better it, at over 10x the price :grin:

So this could be interesting - still too many unknowns at this stage.

A USD1000-1200 DSC2/3 could fit perfectly there @jussi_laako :grinning:

1 Like

I just still donā€™t have time nor money to become a hardware manufacturer too. And such price level would be really challenging. Something in 10 - 25 kā‚¬ range could be more feasible for low sales volume things.

But Iā€™d really prefer not to become a hardware manufacturer.

3 Likes

Those prices would place you in the snake oil territory (price wise). Iā€™m glad youā€™re not pursuing that idea.

I donā€™t think it has to do with snake oil. Sales volumes drive pricing quite a lot.

Building my DSC1 DAC prototype cost me around 1500ā‚¬ per unit in materials. Took me couple of days to assemble solder it together, that is around 2000ā‚¬. This doesnā€™t include yet any casing, just bare boards. Or anything for the time spent on design work. To make it finished product, I would have needed number of prototype rounds and about year of time. So we are talking maybe about 350 kā‚¬ up-front investment. If I would sell 100 of such, it would be 3500ā‚¬ per unit to break even on development cost.

On typical audio device, about 10% of the final sales price is BOM.

3 Likes

Clearly you have not investigated the cost of professionally designing, developing, testing, manufacturing, marketing, and then selling a product like a low unit sales specialized DAC for even a modest profit.

I think we are better off buying a DAC like the Holo Audio May and just using the DSD section of the DAC than having Jussi spend a lot time on a DAC that does not have broad appeal.

1 Like

I was actually saying that pricing a DAC that high might make people think that youā€™re doing business in the style of Chord Electronics, dCS and others. Those DACs are mass produced and yet cost a fortune.

I agree with the last part.

The problem (big time first world problem) problem is without Jussiā€™s deep involvement (or his own design) we may never see a DAC that performs spectacular at DSD256 but also does not go backwards (or improves?) in performance going to DSD512 and DSD1024 across all measurements

Even if such was limited to DSD256, something with no wideband (uncorrelated) noise humps plus spectacular audio band performance, still doesnā€™t exist

Itā€™s possible someone else will do it but Holo and T+A donā€™t tick this box yet

1 Like

I see Pavel is no longer developing DSC2

Somehow Star PureDSD (linked above) featuring DSC2 can sell for a couple thousand euros

We need someone to take over the design and let them continue with the manufacturing side, which they can do cost effectively

Hopefully one day that someone comes otherwise the project stalls forever

Is this something that @jussi_laako has said the upper end Holo Audio DACs (Spring 3 and May) have a problem with that he could address in his own design?

Not sure if Holo DACs but he did write publicly (AS Forum) that he knows how to design a DAC that does what I mentioned above

Affordable DAC That Doesn't Resample High Rate DSD? - Page 3 - DAC - Digital to Analog Conversion - Audiophile Style

But probably could tweak the Holo to do it too

Weā€™re all getting old - time is running out for such a DAC :joy:

1 Like

Hereā€™s a new business line for @jussi_laako DAC Tune Up :arrow_up:!

1 Like