Best operating system for refurb Core machine? (Intel i5-3470 3.2Ghz)

Yeah, figured you were already at that point. Just checking.

It’s been awhile since I used ROCK. Is there an ROCK option to completely reformat ROCK boot drive or to just delete ROCK OS from drive?

If there is any option like that then disconnect SSD, reconnect HDD to use as boot drive and delete ROCK OS from the HDD. Reconnect SSD as boot and you’re good to go.

If the problem is that ROCK is still on the HDD that should take care of it.

Otherwise, have to wait for support. Support might want to see your logs to figure out why the kernel panic.

From what I can see ROCK doesn’t have any OS functionality to format etc

I’m tinkered out tonight but will a) wait and see what support might say then b) boot from USB and properly format the HDD for Linux rather than ROCK though I have no Linux experience I’ll have to tread lightly so I don’t screw up my SSD

OK, that makes sense. I don’t speak Linux. Just make sure you are pointing to the right drive, obviously.

1 Like

Exactly!!!

1 Like

If everything installs as it should, you would eventually get the ROCK administration GUI. On this page there will be a small section for “Internal Music Storage”, and that gives you the option to format the installed drive.
However, it sounds like you aren’t getting that far with the install. I don’t know enough to help you here, but maybe some of the more technically inclined users from the “MOCK” area can help you out (MOCK as you may know are the ROCK builds on nonconforming hardware).

Next time you start tinkering, I have something for you to check.

Since you have ROCK installed on both drives, perhaps you’re not booting from the drive you think you are.

Getting into BIOS, probably by pressing DEL or F1 at startup, will tell you what your boot drive is.
With both drives hooked up, you want the SSD, of course…

Dunno.

I reconnected the internal HDD, booted up from an Ubuntu USB, deleted the ROCK partitions on the HDD and rebooted succesfully into ROCK on the SSD.

This time I did have the option to format internal storage

Success

Thanks for all help and advice - now to get a decent sized HDD in there and start migrating music!

2 Likes

I’m currently running Roon server on a similar machine using with a 60 gig SSD for Roon using Snakeoil OS, based on Ubuntu server, see https://www.snakeoil-os.net/

Don’t take any notice of the name, works very well.

1 Like

Thanks - though I think I’m going to stick with ROCK as long as it works - no temptation to tweak - just enjoy the music!

1 Like

Congratulations! And kudos for being resourceful.
Also good to see hardware getting ‘re-purposed’.

1 Like

So I’m going to take the plunge and install a 2TB SSD into my MOCK and consolidate all my files onto that, keeping the current USB HDD drives as backups.

This should future-proof my storage considerations, giving me lots of spare capacity and hopefully last forever if it’s essentially a write-once disk.

You should consider the drive height when you get the SSD drive. The standard Nuc allows 2.5 inch drives, not higher. If your needs changed and you wanted to upgrade to a Nuc, it would be nice to be able to re-use the drive.
Of course by then 2TB SSD may be $35. :wink:

Sure - it’ll be a 2.5" - I’m hoping this beast will last a while - I may repaste the heat-sink on the processor and replace the fans just to completely refresh it. By the time it needs replacing I hope it’s the NUC that will be $35!!!

I just purchase a i7 and I am very happy with how Roon is running with it. Very fast response.

1 Like

12 GB of ram and a 2TB SSD for Media and things are sounding good!

Win ser 2016 sounds best for audio and it has a look like win 10
Also win ser 2019 is very easy as well.

Cheers - I’ve gone the ROCK route as it seems to run OK on my hardware and stops me from tinkering once it’s set-up

My main hi-fi is a 1965 HMV Stereogram I picked up for £30! It’s the best sounding bit of kit I’ve ever had!

1 Like

6a00d83451cbb069e201b8d171e446970c-800wi

3 Likes

Pretty much - though mine’s teak and without a tuner - it does have a Chromecast audio as endpoint connected by 5-pin Din

It’s got 4-speakers and a lovely warmth that my Sonos 5 can’t compete with

1 Like