Best practice for SMB mounts on Yosemite as it relates to Roon

Yes, but I’ve been having non-stop problems with SMB on my Macs (all running Sierra). Turning it off has made a world of difference. My Synology’s transfer speeds have doubled, disconnections have ceased, and we are all a much happier family. I haven’t used Roon for a while and, with my membership up soon, I was going to give it another try. But I can’t figure out a way to connect to the huge music library on my Synology. I’m not about to turn on SMB again, watch my speeds plummet, and get random disconnections. AFB may officially be deprecated, but the reality is that the Mac OS just doesn’t support SMB well yet. Surely there has to be some way to run Roon server on my system, right?

1 Like

I have so much trouble with SMB mounts on Sierra…super flaky all the time!

Against my best judgement, I re-enabled SMB. I’ve already had my finder lock up once. The Roon share was to blame.

Advice please,

Is the Synology’s firmware update?

Oh yes, it’s updated.

I’ve had two hard crashes since I re-enabled it yesterday. It’s pretty clear that the crashes are related to the share that Roon sets up. The hell with that. SMB just doesn’t work on Macs. Check out the Synology forums, there are posts about the problems people have with SMB left and right. We can blame Synology, we can blame Apple, but ultimately Roon should be able to handle a native network protocol.

It’s a shame. Roon has some real potential, but between crashing my computer and shoving Beyoncé down my throat, I am definitely not renewing another year.

A few simple facts for you to consider

1. Thousands of satisfied Roon users…including many Mac users…including 3 different Roon installs that I manage on behalf of relatives

2. Within the above group, there are MANY Synology, QNAP and other Roon users…all using SMB to access their Music Libraries

3. Many Mac / Roon / Synology users are using Roon without any issue…and are more than happy with the overall System and Sound performance they are achieving

So, set against that background, do you not think that the issue at your end might be specific to your installation or network??

e.g. there are many situations here, when replacing a simple network switch has resolved SMB or related network issues

Thus, I would encourage you to communicate your Network system details to the Roon people…and they may be able to spot what is causing the relatively unusual problems seen at your end

That’s lovely. But you may also want to consider that there are better options out there.

Audirvana 2.0 handles Tidal as well, costs significantly less than Roon and doesn’t shove rap and pop down my throat. It also doesn’t demand that I use a network file sharing protocol that is well established as having a flawed implementation on Macs. Roon has one advantage. It looks pretty. Beyond that, it’s been nothing but trouble for me. I regret having spent my money on a one year membership when the unresolved flaws with Roon meant that most of my time with Roon was spent trying to debug it, when that should be the job of the largely-in-absentia developers.

I cancelled my membership with Room. I’m done with it.