Best Practice for two households or even three

Given Roon is a network audio platform, surely the sensible thing (if budget is not the key factor and decent bandwidth is available at all locations) is to pay a network engineer to implement a network/VPN solution that allows Roon to work seamlessly across those locations.

[*] not suggesting this is trivial to setup (hence the ‘pay a network engineer to implement it’ comment) and that reconfiguring your existing network topology isn’t without issues — not least the fact that you may have to move all your exiting devices onto new subnets. But if seamless usage of Roon in multiple locations is your goal (and money/time isn’t the key factor in that) then tackling this at the network level would seem the sensible approach. IP networking isn’t inherently constrained by physical location, although admittedly setting up a network that spans physical locations while allowing Roon to function without issue will play a key factor in how the network topology is designed/configured

That sounds interesting. I have 2 homes and have a Room nucleous set up currently. Can I simply take the nucleous with me to my other home and plug it into my network, won’t it just discover my Roon compatible devices and still have all my data on it? Or will that mess something up for when I return to this home?

My two ROCK instances stay in their respective homes. They don’t seem to have an issue discovering the devices on their networks after the library restore.
I guess you could also move your Nucleus between the two homes and connect it to the network. It should find all Roon capable devices on the network. You may have to enable them on the settings / audio page the first time after the physical move.

Thanks, that sounds easier for me and should avoid having to effectively have to do a new core migration every time i move from one home to another (if that would work).

It’s possible to do by using iPfire and IPSec VPN.

I’ve tested Roon as RoadWarrior, and it’s working for sure.

You would need some HW to install the iPfire SW.

1 Like

I considered multiple options when I started to switch regularly between two places last year, but I eventually decided to just carry my Zotac CI662 nano core machine (Ubuntu Server 20.04, 4TB SSD) safely in a Pelikan case back and forth. Leaving a location, shut it down, unplug, and pack it. Arriving at the other, unpack, plug in. That’s it.

3 Likes

What if that is the objective? Could you use a hosted server?

Edit, with a family account.