Best Practices for EQing or for simply generating a small bass boost

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Mac mini

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Motorola Modem, and Asus Router

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Too many to list here

Description Of Issue

I want to ask what the best practices are for doing parametric EQ tweaks in the Roon DSP. However, getting a sophisticated mastery of those EQing practices is a long term goal. My immediate concern is how to add a small bass boost to music that sounds slightly bass-lite to me. If Roon had one of those bass boost presets somewhere to activate, that would be the best solution, but in the absence of that, what is the best approach to take?

I do not want to mess with too many adjustments yet, as I do not consider myself an expert in sophisticated EQing practices, although I am willing to learn how to do minor EQ tweaks without introducing unwanted distortions in my music, or clipping the sound in anyway.

By the way, I have visited the Roon page on Parametric EQ’ing, and find the information there to be too sparse for my purposes. I see some charts and a rather anemic set of directions or instructions, and I get the impression that too much is taken for granted regarding my skills in navigating the EQing procedures in the Roon DSP. Any helpful, but more specific, step-by-step guidelines, and also detailed explanations about how to read the EQ charts of graphs would be welcome.

Still, my immediate concern is how to add an occasional small bass boost to the music, a boost that is easily reversible, when needed. Thanks.

Additionally

I see a button on my iPhone in Roon for DSP and parametric but tapping on it does nothing. Is the DSP tweakable only on the core?

Where do you do it?

If someone tells me I will help the original poster above as I am a sound engineer.

Is it disabled in the free trial version?

1 Like

First of all, this is possible only on a PC (MAC or WIN) or a tablet in landscape mode - no mobiles!

First open DSP by selecting the speaker icon in the lower right corner then ‘DSP’ in the pop-up:

Select ‘Add Filter’ and then ‘Parametric EQ’ in the pop-up:

Then input example values into the fields for ‘Band 1’, like 100 Hz, 6 dB, Q 0.7. It should be set as ‘Low Shelf’ at the bottom by default, but you can ‘Change’ that:
Changes are made active immediately after selecting the next field or hitting ‘Enter’. Currently playing music will shortly stop until the new parameter is active:

As positive values will cause frequencies in the boosted region to cause output clipping if recorded at full scale, we need to lower the overall level.
So use the slider to the right of the graph and pull it down until -6dB is adjusted:

That’s it for a bass boost.
Play with the values and hear what you like best.

Or maybe you’d better like an overall tilt rather than just a bass boost, probably sounds more even.
For that input 1000 Hz and Q 0.29, for example:

EDIT
Now save your EQ by selecting ‘Save EQ As…’:

EDIT
Then, at the top left, click ‘Presets’ and save a preset.
You can save many presets and then even select them from your mobile while relaxing to music in your recliner.
But give them reasonable names because you won’t see the graphs on the mobile, remember?:

Hope that helps to overcome any anxiety, and just keep playing with the values, add EQs, presets and enjoy.
Remember to keep your volume save while fooling around and no one’s going to be hurt…

Have fun…

11 Likes

Thanks, @Marin_Weigel, for the detailed response. Much appreciated. I would certainly like to learn how to play around with these settings a lot more, and experiment with creating filters for future use, but always staying within the bounds of safety. You have already done enough to help, but if you know of a place on the internet where I can find a useful “cliff notes” guide about the basics of EQing as practiced in the Roon DSP/parametric EQ system, that would be great too.

I have downloaded the Instructions for REW, but apart from looking overly complicated, I am not sure how well it would work with the Roon DSP system which seems a lot simpler.

Many thanks, once again.

You’re welcome.

I don’t know of any easy reading for you…

But if you’ve been checking out REW documentation, have you also had a read of Magnus’ step by step guide to use REW for room correction in ROON?

Do you have a calibrated measurement microphone, like MiniDSP’s UMIK 1 or 2?

My DIY-speakers are corrected via hand tweaked convolution filters generated by measuring with REW.
One could just as well punch REW’s filter parameters into Roon’s parametric EQ, but it’s far more convenient to export them into a zipped folder for Roon.

The journey is the goal, as they say…

Yes I do have a calibrated MiniDSP Umik 1 which I was using with Dirac live (full) on a different set up a few years ago, before getting Roon. I might actually get the Umik 2 sometime soon because I have the latest and more advanced version of Dirac on my new Pre pro, and the 2 might be more suitable for it.

I have seen the guide of Magnus but have not read it. I shall read it and see what I can learn from it. All my experience with EQ software is limited to what I used to do in the past in building Dirac filters with the Umik 1, but I stopped all that when I got Roon in 2017

AH Tablet landscape or Mac! Not phone!!!

Thanks!

Thanks Marin - I had just about given up on EQ. I was not dropping the overall levels for bass boost. The distortion from adding 4db was excruciating on the Aryas I received this week. They should add your screenshots and walkthrough to the EQ instructions page. The setup they give is what was destroying the low end of some tracks. With this setup, I just up the volume 5db, and Bob’s your uncle.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.