Best practices for USB music storage for Nucleus? Questions

I successfully migrated my Roon Core to a new Nucleus and all is working well. I was anxious about the process, but thankfully it went as planned :crossed_fingers:

I’m currently using an external USB SSD drive connected to the Nucleus to store my music files and Roon watches that. However, I have a few questions about this approach.

I formatted the USB drive as OS X Journaled and later read that that is a read-only format for the Nucleus. Is it worth reformatting in a different format?

I cannot easily add new music to the USB drive - I would have to disconnect it from the Nucleus, connect it to my iMac to move music onto it, then reconnect the drive to the Nucleus. Is there an easier way to do this or is there any risk in doing this? I tried and I cannot view the USB drive on the network even though the Nucleus shows up just fine.

I cannot easily backup the music drive (see previous comment - I assume I have to do the same thing). Again, is there an easier way to do this?

Should I consider a different approach to storing the music files for the Nucleus, instead of the external USB drive? That might the previous concerns less of a concern or simply be a better approach in general.

I’m currently using a Resolution Audio Cantata USB DAC for playback, which I’ve had for many years and love. I have a dCS Bartok with headphone amp on order for headphone listening and I’ll use the ethernet connection with the Nucleus for it (both connected to the router). I’ve also tested a HomePod through the iPhone Roon app and it works fine too.

Roon is so awesome!

Thank you.

1 Like

I’m sorry, but as you’ve found to your peril, you should have formatted the disk with ExFat so that it’s R/W compatible with both OS X and Nucleus. If you are planning to regularly add music to your Nucleus (over the network), I would consider reformatting it and starting over.

2 Likes

Completely agree.

As you’re thinking of starting over anyway, why not fit an internal drive in the nucleus, and use the then redundant external usb one as a backup.

1 Like

Yes, I’ll reformat and try that. Will I be able to then see the drive on the network and write to it?

I’ll look into the internal HD option longer-term.

Thanks.

The Nucleus has a “Share” for its internal drive.

See this article -
https://kb.roonlabs.com/ROCK:_Importing_Music

And if you want a totally silent Nucleus, use an internal SSD.

1 Like

I reformatted the external drive to ExFat, recopied my music files onto it and everything is back up and running.

After restarting the Nucleus and the iMac I’m also now able to access the external HD on the Nucleus and thus able to view, add, copy music files!

2 Likes

yes. exFAT.

your USB drive is at: smb://nucleus/Data/Storage/XXXXX/

use the smb path – it works and is the easiest thing to use. if you can’t get it working, the community and our support team can help.

Internal drive works too. but if you are ok with something hanging off the back, USB is more flexible.

My advice if you want USB storage:

1. exFAT, USB, SSD, 4tb or larger
  2. use SMB to add music or drag/drop to Roon app from Mac/Windows
  3. use NAS or another computer to do a backup locally once a night – just a quick sync from the USB to some other drive in the house
  4. use some form of backup like Backblaze to backup the backup from step 3 to the cloud

Totally silent? Unplug it:grinning:

1 Like

Unless you’re a purist, I don’t think you need solid-state. However, their prices are dropping rapidly and why not have faster, silent, stable internal storage.

Of course if you need >4TB, your options are pricey. There are 8TB SSD’s (Micron 5210 Ion).

In terms of your question, you can store the files on your PC and connect via the web interface, thus having two copies. You can get a Raid 1 USB drive that mirrors it (keep in mind it’s not a real backup- a surge will fry both), but does save from drive failures usually.

Just ideas.

Not a fan of QLC memory.

Why? The downside of durability is irrelevant for storage of music or any other data that is long lived.