Best sounding connection from Nucleus to DAC?

And another product no self-proclaimed golden ear is ever able to identity in a blind test.

Each. Will. Fail. Badly. :joy:

2 Likes

Amen, brother! Which input do you use—USB, i2s, or something else?

1 Like

USB is the best choice, since it gives the DAC 100% control over the clock. I’m one of the eggheads BTW. I never trust purely subjective opinions.

But measurements and theory don’t always translate into how things sound. Ultimately, even in a double blind situation, one choice may sound more “right“ to you than the other. And if you are literally at 5050 in a double blind test, then you have to decide which one sounds better to you. Ultimately, it’s all subjective and so I just start with that as the realistic and best methodology – – using my ears.

1 Like

50/50, of course, means that you can not tell the difference when just listening. But some people do want to spend as much money as possible for the same result and will convince themselves that there is such a thing as I2S cable (there isn’t) and that it sounds better than USB (it doesn’t). But hey, if spending more money on something objectively useless makes one happy, how are we to argue?!

3 Likes

Boris, you and I are on opposite ends of the “discerning audiophile” spectrum. I do hear differences in i2s cables—not “hit you over the head” differences, but subtle differences that lead me to one choice over another. On my DAC (Audio-gd R7HE Mk ll), the i2s input is head and shoulders better than its USB input. And the USB input sounded very good until I tried the i2s input. And “objectively useless” doesn’t appeal to me in the least bit. I’m happy for you that your theories shape and inform your choices, but don’t judge those of us that travel to the beat of a different drummer. There’s room in this audiophile world for many choices and options.

2 Likes

A blind test is designed to determine if there is a perceptible difference, i.e. if anyone can tell them apart. If you can’t do that with a sufficient degree of certainty, then the question of which one’s better is irrelevant.

2 Likes

And btw, @ethelthefrog, I recommend you consider the Sonore SonicTransporter i5 as a choice for a server. And if you can afford it, consider one of their “players” as well.

I started with the UltraRendu and then evolved over to the OpticalRendu. That may be too much for your budget, but I thought I would mention those options.

2 Likes

No, but if two signals measure the same, then they should sound the same to the same ears, assuming the amount of ear wax is also the same. Instruments are much more sensitive than hearing, not biased and repeatable.

I’m wondering how useful any of this is to the OP. The answers given here seem to split fairly evenly between those in favour of sticking with USB, those advocating something else ( a streamer, i2S) and those who say it doesn’t make any difference. I think that if it’s possible to try alternatives without incurring a lot of cost, then why not? Otherwise, maybe better to leave well alone.

1 Like

The number of people who believe in something is not a measure of truth - if you care about truth at all.

3 Likes

I initially used a direct USB connection between my Nucleus + and Chord Qutest. Nothing fancy; Supra USB cable.

Upon the recommendation of a good friend, I purchased a Denafrips GAIA DDC. USB into the GAIA and coaxial SPDIF into the Qutest. The width and height of the sound stage physically grew. I can point the delineation points out on my wall with a laser pointer. ABX tests are simply not required to discern A/B observable increases that are measured in feet. I remain pleased with the GAIA in situ.

1 Like

On the contrary, they are especially required in these “night and day” situations. I would think you may not need them when you can’t tell the difference in sighted comparisons, although bias can still creep in when you have an agenda. Again, if you care about objectivity at all.

I’ll bet they’re subtle. PCM over one cable versus the same PCM over a different cable. If I heard a difference, I’d know that either I needed a better DAC, or I needed a better mind.

Sorry, that’s a bit terse. Let me explain. It’s entirely possible that two different inputs to the same DAC may sound different, even with the same PCM. And it’s entirely possible that a difference heard by human ears and mind can be imaginary.

Different inputs: Many DAC designers, particularly for small-volume and/or “boutique” devices, have limited familiarity with all of the various input types: I2S, USB, AES, S/PDIF. And the hardware to support the various inputs has varied over time as well. So it’s entirely possible that the S/PDIF input to a DAC, for instance, might be superior to the USB input, because the DAC designer either knows how to implement it better, or chooses a different chip, perhaps one that’s familiar, to implement it with. Basically, the DAC is “broken” on the inferior-sounding input, whichever that may be. You need a better DAC.

Luckily, these differences are typically not just sound differences. One input is not less “full” than another, or “more fatiguing,” for instance. Due to the nature of digital data transmission, errors and deficiencies tend to manifest as clicks, pops, and drop-outs. So it’s pretty easy to tell.

Imagination: the human imagination is one of the glories of the universe, powerful and far-reaching. And hearing occurs mostly in our mind, which interprets frequence sensations from the ears and skin as speech or music or just plain noise. And human imagination is a big part of it. But there are many ways the mental process of hearing can be skewed by various things, including likes, dislikes, dreams, and blood chemistry. It takes an extremely disciplined mind to resist hearing auditory hallucinations, which are more frequent than most people realize. This is the reason I prefer to qualify my hi-fi equipment with instruments more reliable than my – most imaginative – hearing.

3 Likes

If you’re willing to diy a little bit of electronics. You could pur together a streamer with a rtspberry Pi and IAN Canada’s boards.
I use one to stream from my fanless NUC Roon core to my venus II via I2S.
Yuu could use the setup as proposed in IAN Canada FiFoPIQ7 documentation page 14. This would set you back approx. USD 700 and result in a very high end streamer.
I use the setup as described in IAN Canada PurePi power supply - #2 by Matt_Martin and am very happy.

1 Like

With respect you can install Roon Server on an old dedicated i5/i7 laptop or NUC for about 250 – and that’s overkill; and spend the extra 450 on speakers (or music) where you would actually hear a real difference. One doesn’t need to spend $700 on a streamer. Buy a WiiM mini for $89 if you want Spotify connect or Amazon.

1 Like

Only if it’s an audiophile grade laptop. Mind the noise!!

Incorrect.

Also, which bias?

2 Likes

Per Wikipedia [ABX test - Wikipedia] :

“An ABX test is a method of comparing two choices of sensory stimuli to identify detectable differences between them.”

I don’t need to determine IF a difference is present. It’s readily observable. I just need a tape measure to quantify it.

The original poster was asking about an optimal connection from his Nucleus to the denafrips Venus.

Your comment about installiung roon on an old laptop my work for you, but only shows that your way out of your league for the original question.

PS: Why do people not answer the questions but prefer to engage in futile arguments :wink:

1 Like