Best way to stream to Onkyo AVR

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS running on Core i7, 8GB RAM, Roon 1.7

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Gigabit ethernet, all Roon devices hardwired

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Onkyo AVR TX-NR717.

Description Of Issue
This is really a couple of questions in one.

First, I have an Onkyo TX-NR717 in my home theater, and while it’s listed in my Roon devices as a Chromecast streamer, I’m wondering if Chromecast is the highest quality, and/or best alternative to stream my Roon content to the AVR.

I use it this way, and it’s not bad, but I’d also like to have the advantage of the beautiful Roon interface to display on the large screen TV during a party. So, I’d appreciate hearing some ideas on how I might take advantage of, what I think is, a pretty decent quality DAC in the Onkyo, while still having access to the full interface.

I’m using a RPi/HiFi Berry/Ropieee device with another stereo amplifier and it works beautifully, but again, no interface.

Thanks in advance for your help.

A Roon bridge device of your choice.

The Onkyo TXNR717 has a Burr Brown DAC which is common among many of the Raspberry Pi hats, so you could make use of this but will be limited to the optical or coaxial S/PDIF inputs. The Allo DigiOne–or similar device–is one option. Chromecast audio is limited to 96kHz 24bit, but this may meet your needs for an AV setup. Alternatively, use an RPi + DAC hat and use one on the receivers audio inputs; with this option you can take advantage on Roon’s DSP and higher sample rates.

You could connect your core via HDMI to the Onkyo without the need for anything else.

You will get great music experience with combine technology, chromecast for display and hifiberry digi+ for sound!

This might be my best option. I’ll need to downsize my core pc’s case, but I’d really thought about doing that anyway. Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.