Best way to tame room modes?

Hmm, definitely worth trying,

I have a nasty room resonance boost at 35hz which given my speakers only have a range down to 55hz is problematic. Also have significant boosts at 70 and 100hz too. Moving my speakers further out helped reduce the overall gain but just moves the issue further up but makes it more manageable to use DSP, which does help improve it overall without the need for hideous room mods.

I do strongly recommend trying out Housecurve but you will get better results using a system that can alter the phase alignment as well which currently it can’t do nor can Rew. I have used HAF (Home Audio Fidelity) as a service to create bespoke filters, Thierry’s service is second to none and his expertise can really help rather than muddle along. The results from him surpass HouseCurve quite considerably in my experience and he will work with you to tweak to get them exactly how you want it. It’s free to try out so suggest you drop him a mail and start the conversation.

4 Likes

I used the Roon dsp (notch filter) and that worked quite well for me, but takes some trial and error so the above mentioned software could be a big help. But when sound quality is an issue there is nothing better than good roomacoustics. An investment in bass absorbers (diaphragmatic absorbers) will always outperform any equalisation of the source, as also mentioned above. It is astonishing what proper bass damping also does to the frequencies above that, as if those low frequency decays mask other sounds.

Another vote for Thierry’s HAF filters. A wonderful product and a great person to work with.

3 Likes

A functional bass trap at 40 Hz will require much more than pillows. Looking at the specs on Acoustic Sciences Corp bass traps, the 13” column has a lower limit of 65Hz and 16” column rolls off at 45Hz. Having understood that, the 16” column will probably take care of the two dips. The software approach can be effective in a single listening position and worsen effects in other room spots as you move around the room. Is very useful - I use it with my pro PA, as well as studio monitors but recognize the imperfections. Three 13” bass traps in my studio have made a big improvement that I then use a dbx device for final leveling.

Should I use HouseCurve for subs and mains? Or use a minidsp 2x4hd for subs and house curve for mains? Or the minidsp 2x4hd for everything?

And still another vote for Thierry’s HAF (https://www.homeaudiofidelity.com/).

Thierry is incredibly easy to work with; for me, the bespoke filter set he created for my rig is among the most cost effective investments I have made in audio in years. (And significantly better than I was able to create myself with REW.)

5 Likes