Best way to tame room modes?

I have a huge boom at 40hz and a dip at 50 and 70hz.
I found the corner with the 40hz boom. I tried placing around 20 pillows there and no change. So I just used the parametric eq to tame it. Is this the best way?

Measure the room and use DSP in Roon. Taming room modes this low with passive means is impossible because the wave lengths are just too long, you would need huge traps.

You can use parametric EQ or a convolution filter.

Quick, cheap and simple way to get good results already:

Or invest a bit more and get your filters tailormade:

There is also other software. Lots of other info here:

Otherwise the only options are tuned diaphragm traps like

Or active traps like

9 Likes

If this is room modes and interference, DSP won’t help that much. A second sub would be a better option. Or, well, active traps.

1 Like

Not to fill in very deep dips, but he says he has big booms, which can be reduced

1 Like

Well, yes, but wouldn’t it reduce 40Hz even more everywhere else?

How so? A PEQ at the right place, or IMHO better a convolution filter, would only affect the specific frequency

But if it is that frequency that adds, due to room reflections, to a big peak in a specific location, all you can do with PEQ is lower it enough that it is reasonable in that spot. So there will be a dip at 40Hz elsewhere no? If the goal is to fix up a sound one spot that will do, but if the goal is to even out response across the entire room, you really need multiple sources for big wavelengths.

1 Like

Yeah, though you can average it out good enough for the whole couch or something like that. Sure, in other parts of the room there will still be peaks and dips in this case. May or may not be a problem in a particular case. If it sounds great in the listening position, it’s all many people care about. I accept that there’s a corner in the open kitchen with a bass boom :slight_smile: Though even that got better with DSP.

(Edit: And if you care for multiple positions, though not simultaneously, measure them separately and switch DSP as needed)

But even if you have multiple sources you may still have a peak at the listening position as that’s a question of room measurements and position, and will still occur even if there are sources in different places. Eventually, only a very large room helps that pushes resonances into inaudible depths.

1 Like

40Hz is 8.5 meters wavelength , it might work. Depending on goals, ,room layout, and placement options, might be also easier to just move the sub :slight_smile:

1 Like

i have 2 subs

1 Like

Have you tried moving them around so it does not add quite as much at the main listening position?

Actually no wonder, since a pressure node is a particle displacement antinode.
You need to put the absorber where there’s an audible null at that frequency, to be most effective!
From http://www.sengpielaudio.com/RoomModes.htm
Left: sound pressure for a room mode
Right: air molecule displacement for a room mode

2 Likes

Actually, even if I disable the subs the towers have the same issue

That is why foam corner traps don’t work for bass.
If you would have 8 subs and a rectangular room you can try the Double Bass Array.
Otherwise build diaphragmatic traps. I made two “small” ones to take care of a nasty 71 Hz problem and they do work! The 71 Hz is still there but gone is the decay.
I built the acoustic fields ones. They really work. But you need space against the wall for them.

Other than mentioned traps, and I assume moving towers isn’t practical, moving subs might help, if you can get them to cancel / add elsewhere.

Funny, if I set the left sub out of phase it evens the bass notes quite a bit. But now there is a big boost at 60 lol.

If you have an iPhone or iPad (or can borrow one), 7 euros, and 10-30 minutes, you could try if HouseCurve solves the basic problem for you (and then could potentially build on that with more sophisticated filters)

I will thanks

Makes sense…

Are subs running stereo or both on the mono sub output? Something that can do phase as well as frequency adjustment might be able to work it out. Not sure, but Housecurve likely can do it at least to some degree ,so try that…

dual RELs off of a Parasound P5