BETA release 2018/10/16 (193) now at 218

guys,

Pushed out another update (209). This addresses some of the issues reported over the last few days.

Thanks,

Yes, of course.

Hmm, I have tried a 2.5a and a 3a. I’ll try something else. Thanks.

I was, and am, confused, because non-display RoPieee have never shown up in Roon —> Settings —> Extensions before, only under Audio.

Updated all RoPieee to v209. Upon restart, the KitchenDisplay of the grouped zone (Kitchen and LivingRoom) reverted to Zone Not Found (it was the “added zone”), so I ungrouped. Please note that the grouped zone was okay before the update. Feedback, in case helpful:

390c4b252f1d13df

On my side, I note your comment about data simply not arriving from Core, as you have mentioned this before. Over the last 4 weeks I have replaced all of my switches (NetGear), replaced all Ethernet cables (6a), removed the PowerLine device and run physical wires etc etc. As you can see from the rrdtool graphs, ICMP is measured in a few milliseconds, partly because the source is wireless (only one RoPieee is wireless now, and not part of the grouped zones under review, and it has no display). I can’t think of anything else I can optimize, and I can’t determine any other avenue of investigation. I am open to any suggestions

Ni Nathan,

Is that feedback before you ungrouped? And with ‘added zone’ you mean is the secondary zone added to the primary zone (which is configured to be displayed?)?

Yes, before I un-grouped (I believe).

Yes, if I understand you correctly.

Status last night: grouped, artwork and progress working.

Status this morning, after upgrading to v209 (and rebooting again to ensure gui displays 209):

• LivingRoomPI (first Roon Zone, “primary”)
  • LivingRoomDIsplay (displays artwork etc)
  • KitchenPi (grouped with LivingRoomPi, “secondary”
  • KitchenDIsplay (displays Zone Not Found, feedback sent)

After, un-grouped, and both displays showed artwork as expected.

So to be sure: on the KitchenDisplay ropieee unit, you’ve set the Roon Zone in the config to ‘KitchenPi’. Right?

And did you group them again?

Yes, confirmed.

Not yet; should I do so?

Yeah. Let’s see if it starts to behave like it should.

Even though I don’t have a Ropieee Pi running at the moment, I love reading these exchanges.

Keep it going guys – the suspense is killing. :smiley:

2 Likes

ok then. one final (210) before bed time.

Again a small improvement: the extension is now more resilient to networking errors. While the previous version did not recover (for example) from a router reset, this version will.

@Nathan_Wilkes curious to how this runs on your system.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hello,
How do I become involved in beta testing of Roon? I’m ready to go.

David

Updated to 210 and rebooted ROCK. Everything was well-behaved tonight — tested various groups, not just the normal two. I noticed those minute counters (I presume) — now at about 22 they are at about 3 hours. I’ll take a look in the morning and let you know.

I ran a single update of my rrdtool script, but I won’t uncomment cron until it won’t impact RoPieee log readings.

I appreciate your help Harry @spockfish.

1 Like

Thanks Nathan. So far so good. Curious how it looks in the morning.

Thanks for your patience with this!

Interesting this morning. The bad news is that both displays would not wake up from the clock, grouped or ungrouped. The good news is that the extensions didn’t crash in Roon Settings, based on the counter. I rebooted both displays, and they responsive [update: see below]. I did not have to reboot ROCK, as I have before.

Pre-reboot 9cda4e471800a611

After reboot e9b06724547e1fd5

I then let the screensaver clock appear. And, I could not get it to wake up by playing through Roon. But, I could touch the display to wake it up — it had the wrong artwork. We could use the play control on the screen to start and stop music, but the icon would not change.

44a59eafb2e24689

I also noticed that the low power indicator is on… I have some new power supplies coming in that are supposedly 18watt, so maybe that has something to do with all of this.

Sorry for the trouble.

EDIT: on a whim, rebooted ROCK, and the displays show the correct artwork, Touch controls now work. 5cbbb2a0451c5e7c

Hi @Nathan_Wilkes

Interesting part is that I did not receive the pre-boot feedback. This makes me wonder…

Anyways, I can read the second one (e9b…). From the log it seems fine.
So you’re saying that, when after 10 minutes the screen dropped in, you could not get it to wake up by simply pressing play on Roon right? And that, waking it up via touch, showed the wrong information? Was this old information? Previous track or what?

And you restarted this unit?

All correct. Screen showed old information.

This means that the extension has been fed old data.

I’m more and more thinking this is a Roon server problem.

Harry,

One of my displays just stopped updating and was showing the clock. I restarted the Roon Remote Extension and it then showed the track that was playing but did not update when the next track started. I restarted my core and everything seems to be back to normal. This display is running version 181.

Tim

@anon97951896 thanks for the feedback. This sounds like what @Nathan_Wilkes had as well.

This further backs up my idea that this is a Roon core issue.

On that topic: I just released a small update with a ‘safety valve’ implemented: when the extension is running for more than an hour and it’s idling (screensaver for example) it’s restarting.

Let’s see if this makes any difference.

Oh. If you ran into this issue again, the feedback before you reboot is potentially important.

Regards Harry

Hi David,

Very simple: go to the advanced tab of RoPieee’s webpage and set the update channel to ‘beta’ and the update schedule to ‘on_boot’.

Reboot and you’re ready to go.

Thanks!

Harry,

I’ll send feedback before rebooting if I see the issue again. I’m staying on the stable channel for now.

Tim