BETA Release 2024.04.1

Hi all,

I’ve just pushed out a BETA update (2024.04.1) that fixes the following issues:

• missing track total and elapsed time on the display
  • WPA3 not working on Pi3/4

One remark with the latter: WPA3 is not working on the Pi 5 for various reasons. That’s not something I can fix (for now), so I’ll update the website and make a remark that if you rely on WPA3 you should not use a Pi 5.

5 Likes

Can confirm time is fixed on the display.

Thanks!!

2 Likes

:white_check_mark:

Progress bar confirmed.

Unit 1

• Hardware: Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Rev 1.2
  • Network: ethernet
  • Audio: HiFiBerry HAT
  • Display: No
  • Remote: N/A
  • Build: RoPieee 2024.04.1 (1571)

Unit 2

• Hardware: Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Rev 1.2
  • Network: ethernet
  • Audio: N/A
  • Display: Yes
  • Remote: N/A
  • Build: RoPieee 2024.04.1 (1571)

Hi Harry,

I’ve tested the new beta (not able to test WPA3 yet). Can confirm that the progress bar is working (but for me it was working on the last beta too). Can also confirm that I’m still experiencing the other behaviour I mentioned here: BETA Release 2024.03.90 - #124 by James_Fitzell

I’ve done some more testing of that behaviour and as soon as I group the endpoint the screen takes on volume control of the lead zone. The LCD screen also shows the volume level of the lead zone, not the volume of the local zone.

Hi @James_Fitzell

If you don’t mind I’m going to have a look at this later.
First I want to push out an update that fixes the WPA3 issue for some people.

Thanks

1 Like

So, I got feedback from @Bruno_Winyle that WPA3 is working on the Pi 4 with this beta.
Would be great if someone (beside me :wink: ) can confirm it for the Pi 3 as well.

If so we can release asap.

1 Like

Hey Harry, I’ve managed to setup WPA3 but my currently wireless Ropieee just sits endlessly scanning for networks. It’s still connected to the WPA2 network fine, but it’s been scanning for 20 minutes now so not sure if there’s a bug or just user error. It’s not in a spot that I can plug it into ethernet and disable wifi as part of testing.

@James_Fitzell You should reboot your router or access point and than reboot RoPieee for sure. And than try connect another time. But RoPieee has implemented autoconnecting functions so then will automatically connect to SSID when found it.

I’ve created a completely new WPA3 network for testing, so the original still exists and will be able to be connected to (and I can’t change that without risking breaking 20 other things).

Rebooting the router and APs is a weekend job but will try rebooting the ropieee now.

1 Like

@spockfish
Hi Harry,
I can confirm that WPA3 and the time-indication are both solved.
I have put my WiFi-network in WPA3, and the two RPI3 that had downloaded the Beta were still working afterwards.
I hava one RPI3 that was powered off and that still has the Stable version (2024.04). That one is not able to come on the WiFi. This is the best proof that your Beta-version is indeed working for RPI3 using WiFi and WPA3.
You’re the best! Congratulations and deep respect.
Kind regards, Frank.

3 Likes

Great that the situation is now back to ‘normal’ for everyone, thank you Harry.

For future releases, thanks to the 2024.03.90 beta I could test, the sound of the 6.6.25 kernel with the ‘old’ USB stack was incredibly good and proving to be very promising, something I somewhat lost since the 5.x kernels (maybe 6.0 was still Ok).
So, whenever the WPA3 issues are corrected on these new kernels, it would be great to jump again to them.

1 Like

@spockfish Hi Harry, today I see new update but with lower number than I have.

Actually I have RoPieee 2024.04.1 (1577).

Should I revert to v. 1572?

You probably switched channels.

Again, update channnels are totally separated. If you switch the latest available version in that channel will be pulled in.

Help please. I’m running 2024.04.1 on my RPi4 that I use when away from home with my Dell XPS 15 laptop (Windows 11) Roon server. I use Verizon cellular hotspot data to my Dell, then the Dell XPS 15 hotspot data to the RPi4. I do it this way because I use two iPhones and two iPads for Verizon cellular data and don’t want to be constantly messing with the RoPieee settings to connect to WIFI. I also sometime use Speedify to bond the Verizon devices. Up until about a month ago this has worked flawlessly.

About a month ago, my RPi4 would no longer connect to Roon on the Dell. Roon would never show the endpoint. This trip I have been able to finally get the RPi4 to connect but it takes 20 or 30 minutes to show up as a Roon endpoint (2 feet away). I tried to send Feedback but RoPieee just spins and spins endlessly.

I sent emails but never get responses. So please advise what might be going on. Does this sound like a hardware problem, software, or what? I will be back home in two weeks and will plug this back into ethernet for my headphone use but I’m wondering if I should purchase a new RPi4 or RPi5 for this away-from-home WIFI application or maybe there is some other device I should look at.

@spockfish Any ideas? If not, I think I will reinstall RoPieee using a new micro SD when I get home week after next. Once this RPi4 connects to Roon in about 20 minutes, it works fine.

EDIT: RPi4 took 23 minutes to connect to Roon audio this last time. Weird.

Hi Jim,

This is weird. Could be anything, but still.
Would be great if you create this setup at home, so we can get the feedback directly (by plugging in a cable).

And on that note… is it an option to make the connection between your laptop and the Pi with cable?
That requires a switch (let’s stay away of point to point connections), but these days some very tiny ‘mini switches’ do exist.

Thanks

1 Like

Thanks Harry. Let’s wait until I get home next week to fool with it. I have a new micro SD card waiting for me at home and I’ll reflash first.

1 Like

Last night I left the RPi4 running and shut down my Dell and iPads. This morning, it took the RPi4 4 minutes to connect to Roon on my Dell. So, I think the problem has to do with the RPi4 initialization on startup that’s taking forever. Maybe the new micro SD card, new download, and new install will fix that. We’ll see next week.

EDIT 5/17… @spockfish for some reason, it’s working as it should now. I have no idea why, maybe you can tell. Anyway, fingers crossed that it’s fixed. Thanks.

EDIT 5/18… @spockfish OK, all seems good now. Maybe closing all the unused protocols was the answer. Anyway, thanks for your help and consider this one solved.