Better duplicate handling

I would like to see a better filter for duplicates. Now I choose the appropriate filter and I have to check everything through “other versions” button.

Maybe it could be possible to have everything side by side with additional information. Eg on left the highest quality and on right the lowest. And beneath the locations to see directly where it’s located.

And if it’s possible when I have only two albums a ready list for deletion.

You can turn off hiding albums and artists before you do your filter. I do this quite often when trying to get a grip on what I have or don’t have.

I do that but again I have a lot of duplicates. Especially with Greek music. It’s not always correct and I have to fix manually. So Every now and then I perform a cleanup.

In eliminating duplicates I’d think format, bit depth, sampling rate, program loudness and dynamic range are all relevant factors and all the data is readily available within Roon’s innards.

Good luck getting anything useful on this front though - I’ve been asking for album loudness to be included in the presented data when looking at duplicates since the introduction of EBU R128 but I’ve been flatly ignored.

Today I realized something else about the identification. I saw a lot of famous albums not been Identified because of a slight difference in duration. For example the “White Album” is not recognizable because there is a 5 second error in “Dear Prudence” and 1,5 minute in “Helter Skelter”. OK I understand that the second case is weird but it could somehow show that.

I also have a serious duplicate problem. Posting here as it seems that I am not alone. If I should be posting this elsewhere, please advise.

Here are a few screenshots. Many duplicate albums for all tracks, and some albums only have one or two songs so the other songs appear on duplicate albums. I should have around 21,000 tracks. I have 37,000. So there is a serous problem. And the Artwork is screwed up. Major releases do not have any artwork.

Many times i go to play an album or track, but have to go to another version to play it. So I am frequently guessing as to which version Roon will play. Sometimes Roon says it will not play any version.

Meanwhile, how to I fix these issues? I have spent no less than 12 hours playing with the edit function, but many times the tracks do not line up with the album version offered by Roon. So I cannot accept the result. I do not know how to use Focus. I have been doing this with the dots next to the track.

And there are the artwork problems. Will wait to solve that until later, unless they are related.

Open to suggestions as to how to fix this as well as prevent in the future. I believe Roon is watching two (2) different iTunes libraries, and not filtering the same entry but rather adding them both. I can easily be adding new tracks/albums/artists on two different machines. One is the Core machine for Roon (Media Room). The other is my office iMac. Both have external drives with iTunes libraries. And are “watched” by Roon.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Dan

Dan if you click on “Focus” => “Inspector” => “Duplicates” it will filter out the singles leaving only the duplicates. When you select an album, under the image and above the tags, it will have a very small button called “Other Versions”. When you press it it will show the other albums in your library with full path.

The music that you have in the external discs is common or different? I’m concerned that you have imported the iTunes library. I’m a Windows user and I don’t have such experience but in general I don’t mix my software. Each program is complete isolated from another. Jriver uses it’s own database. So does Foobar2000 and Roon. I have disabled every option of “auto arrange”. I don’t allow something to modify my libraries in any manner.

I don’t know how you work but since you have a Roon Core I suggest that you buy a large disc and put everything there. No mixing, no two machines nothing. Right now I have 1 disc with High Res Music and another with normal quality. And a folder for incoming files and modifications. Everything is fixed on my desktop PC and I stream through my phone or tablet. I hope my next small buy will be a larger disc to put everything in and my big one a NAS.

Thanks for your reply.

I will test your suggestion as far as Focus /Inspector / Duplicates. Need some time for that. So will test and report as I can.

As to the other issue, let me try to explain. There are two computers (iMac-Office, and MacMini-Media room). They both have large external USB drives which have the music libraries on them. The libraries are configured as iTunes libraries. Roon is “watching” both content and for new additions.

The iMac library is more or less similar to the other MacMini library although not identical. That is a function of what they were used for prior to Roon. The iMac drive is generally used as a backup for the music in case one drive crashes. So we want to maintain both libraries, but for various reasons over time they are not identical.

The iMac has a DVD drive so easy to add titles via CD/DVD using that method. The MacMini uses flash drives, and I sometimes add titles from other sources where I do not have a CD. Such as downloads.

The iMac serves as a remote on the Roon Core. The MacMini is the Roon Core. I also have iPad and iPhones that act as remotes.

Does this explain why I have two separate drives with main and backup libraries?

I understand your setup. I don’t have a solution for that but I can make a hypothesis. Maybe Roon sees the two libraries as seperate and so the albums that are connected displayed as individual instead of duplicates.

Hi: Spending some time with the duplicates issue today. I have been playing around with it using your suggestion of Focus-Inspector-duplicates. Fine, I can get there, and in fact there are duplicates identified. I can the check the box for duplicates. Now what? There is no change to the duplicate listed albums. They are still there. Is there another step that I am not properly performing?

From there you can hide the unwanted ones. For example I hide the MP3 versions that I keep. Or you can delete them.

Still plenty of duplicates after your suggested step. Not sure what to do to eliminate them.

I believe I am missing an essential step. Albums-Focus-Inspector and check Duplicates box. Near the top of the dialog box the word Duplicates appears with an “X” next to it. I am supposed to click either: the Duplicates box (green), or the “X”?

I am not talking about MP#'s. All are in Lossless ALAC format with a few DSD tracks.

So what is happening when I click Duplicates? And what if the albums are not in Roon with the same track info. So different tracks appear either in duplicate albums or not. This happens many times, but not all times, namely excess tracks from the same album. So eliminating them cuts some tracks from album. In other cases, the albums (both main and duplicate) are the same.
Thanks