BIOS for NUC i3-5010U

I’m trying to install ROCK on a NUC and I can’t figure out how to find on the Intel website. Any ideas?

I’ve never installed a BIOS update on any of the three NUCs I use as Core/endpoints. I don’t believe it’s necessary on the newer NUCs, probably on any NUCs as regards ROCK.

Roon’s advice is that it’s best to have the most up to date BIOS, but that’s true (I guess) for any OS. So, there’s nothing particular to ROCK that requires an updated BIOS, even for NUCs that might have an update.

So, although this doesn’t answer your question, I am saying to forge ahead with the ROCK install and not to worry about the BIOS. ROCK will either install or it won’t.

Up to you, of course.

1 Like

If you know the NUC series number (ie NUC5i3XXX) and do a google search for NUC5i3XXX Bios, it will return a link directly to the software support page for that specific NUC on the Intel site. That said, xxx is correct in saying you probably don’t need to update in order to get Rock to work properly.

1 Like

Your NUC must be a NUC5i3RYH, NUC5i3RYHS, NUC5i3RYK, NUC5i5RYH, NUC5i5RYHS, NUC5i5RYK, and NUC5i7RYH.
You need to download the .BIO file (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18082/bios-update-rybdwi35.html?wapkw=NUC5i3RYB). Copy this file to a USB key (formatted in FAT32), then connect it to the NUC.
From the NUC bios (press F2 on your keyboard when starting up), click on Tools → Update firmware. Find in the directory tree .BIOS file.
I’ve had NUCs of this generation that I couldn’t update. Because there’s too much difference between the NUC version and the downloaded version.
Is it necessary to do these BIOS updates? It’s better, but not essential. If your NUC is working properly, and you don’t have any security issues like for business. Then a BIOS update is not essential.

I doubt that the OP has a fifth generation NUC - that was only used as an example by @AudioDreamer

You seem to be using NUC5. Since it’s so old and out of warranty, do not upgrade its BIOS unless you encounter a problem and are sure it’s caused by BIOS.

Also, you should not be using NVMe for ROCK (otherwise you’ll likely get kernel panic). It works from NUC6.