Blu Ray to FLAC?

Not sure where to put this. Is there any way to get the audio from a Blu ray disc into FLAC or some other format I can get on my Roon SSD?

Yes, there are a few software programs that will allow you to rip the Blu-ray and save the audio file as flac. Google search, then choose the software you are most comfortable with. I personally do not know of any free ones that are any good.

You want Make MKV–free in beta. Use it to “back up” bluray,

then: use DVD Audio Extractor to extract to flac-free to try. Worth buying after trial.

Yes.

Yes…but I prefer XRECODE 3 for more explicit info on the data. Try both and see for yourself.

Thanks. I’ll try that.

Edit: only windows? :pensive:

So will I.

…similar to the above… AnyDVD HD and DVD Audio Extractor. I was just doing some rips last night from Blu Ray and DVD Audio discs…

Confirmed - both work extremely well on a Mac, and Roon handles the multi-channel files without any issues afterwards, if that is your thing.

I use MakeMKV in combination with foobar2000 to go from bluray to flac. It requires a fair amount of work to fill out the metadata, but since I was already using foobar2000 for such things it was the path of least resistance for me. Plus I don’t rip blurays all that often, so it’s tolerable (recently ripped the Abbey Road Deluxe Edition bluray)

As noted, makemkv is superb and the go-to package for the initial import. MKVToolNixGUI and gMKVExtractGUI are invaluable additional tools for post-processing, as well as ffmpeg. I’m not sure that a full tutorial on this would be within forum rules, but it’s very straightforward.

Do you need any kind of special Bluray drive for all of this?

Not as far as I know - I use one of these for CD and Blu-ray rips with Make MKV and DVD Audio Extractor, works like a charm:

I use a Pioneer BDR-XD07TS with my iMac. It’s a USB3 device and works just fine for me.

Thanks, guys. Lot of discussion about specific drives on the MakeMKV forum, but it all seems to be a couple of years old.

After several no-name Chinese imports from Amazon, I got this:

It’s large, sturdy and fast. Quite a beast!

1 Like

So, i have been trying to get Roon to
Playback multichannel FLAC files with no luck.

My Roon core is on a Win11 machine. Ryzen7 with 16 GB ram.

Output over HDMI to Denon AVR-910

When I play files

“Too Many Failures
Stopping Playback”

Files are 6 channel FLAC 96kHz

What is your setup and any secrets to get this working. TIA

Hi - what was the origin of your files ? Can you check if they play OK with other software ? If you ripped them from BD then maybe there was an issue there ? I just use a 7 year old NUC for Roon but don’t have a surround rig, so all I did was test that the files played as a downmix. Sorry that I can’t add anything else, but somebody will probably be along shortly with some more suggestions- good luck !

Thanks. They play fine using VLC. They are from BD & DVD audio backups converted to FLAC by DVD Audio Extractor.

I’d just use VLC but the transitions between tracks are not gapless. That is a show stopper to me.

I’ve had mixed results for ripping BD audio files using DVD AE alone. I use MakeMKV to make a backup of the Blu-ray and then use DVD AE to bring over the audio files - although I’m not playing the multichannel files, just the stereo. Not saying that is the source of your problems, but might be worth a shot.

Often, AVRs will present themselves to Roon as having several alternatives, e.g., direct, Wasapi, etc… Try them all.