Bluesound Node 2i

I currently have a Mac Mini with a UBS HiFace with SPDIF output into Meridian DSP6000 digital speakers.

I use Tidal and Roon.

I am considering buying a Bluesound Node 2i and feeding that straight into my speakers with the digital output from the Node 2i.

I have 3 questions for people who have much more knowledge and experience than me:

1. Will I be likely to get better sound?
  2. Can I do away with the Mac Mini?
  3. Will I be able to control volume from the Roon app on my iPhone and iPad?

Thanks in advance.

it’s been a while since i used the HiFi, but IIRC it’s limited to 24/48?

Excuse my ignorance, but what’s IIRC? My speakers are capable of resolving 24/96, and that is what the HiFace outputs.

1 Like

If I remember correctly …

Are you referring to one of these?:

If so, then the Node 2i would allow you to get rid of that, since it has its own S/PDIF outputs (optical and coax) as well as RCA/analog outputs (but no USB inputs or outputs, other than USB-A for a USB memory stick or hard drive).

You’d still need something to run your Roon Core. The Node 2i won’t do that. So unless you have another computer/server, presumably you still need the Mac Mini (or a replacement). However, the Node 2i would allow you to relocate the Mini away from your hifi gear, as long as you have ethernet or fast wifi to connect them. Some people think such a separation benefits sound quality (by reducing mechanical and electrical noise). Personally, I didn’t find the Node 2i made a huge improvement in sound quality compared to just connecting the Mini directly via USB to an integrated amp with a decent embedded DAC chip.You may indeed notice a sound improvement, though, as well as functional benefits from the Bluesound user interface.

And yes, you would be able to control volume from the Roon app. However, the Node 2i can learn the infrared signals of an ordinary physical remote control. If your amp/receiver has one of those, it may give more satisfactory volume control than those little software sliders.

If I Recall Correctly: and it seems i don’t, if the HiFace outputs 24/96.

Thank you for a comprehensive and informative reply. I’m going to put the Mac Mini in a cupboard and use it solely as a Roon core and I have already ordered the Node 2i. At least it will tidy up my main listening room, if nothing else.

2 Likes

That’s how I use it as well, quite happy with it!

Hi Everyone - I was thinking of using the Node2i as a Roon endpoint/head-fi station. I’ve only been able to find limited information about it’s front headphone output. I was planning to use it with the Meze 99 Classics, Grados, and maybe the HiFiman Sundara. Has anyone used the headphone output? Any feedback?

Hi,

The headphone 3.5mm on the front works but is not even close to a Chord mojo or a Chord Hugo 2 for serious headphone listening, have been using same with mojo and CH2 via toslink or Coax to a HD800 with great succes so would say it’s but only for casual listening, just my 2 cents and ymmw…

1 Like

After listening to the headphone output of the Node 2 I plugged in my Schiit Asgard 2 and never looked back.

1 Like

I suggest don’t get a Node 2i. Had one and could not get stable quality sound no matter what I did. Built a ROON Rock and direct USB to an SMSL SU9, for not much more $ and a whole world of improvement in sound quality and reliability. Node 2i went into the bin where it belongs.

2 Likes