Bluesound Node 2i

Do you have a remote installed?
can you see it on this screen?

can you see this screen?

Make sure your Mac and the BlueSound devices are on the same network. if you are using a wifi connection for Mac then it needs to be in the same IP address range as the Node. using a guest wifi network will not work either.

https://kb.roonlabs.com/Networking_Best_Practices

I cant find Roon as the remote bcause related to your second screenshot, I cant find bluesound at the audio setting from Roon core :frowning:

I pretty sure that my Mac and the bluesound in a same network, bcause I already checked the IP. I have another question: do Roon could be a server of many streamer? or just 1 streamer?

if by streamer you mean endpoints then yes roon can stream to many endpoints individually or concurrently. This is the function of the Zones once you have the added endpoints in the Audio settings.

Oh I see. Thank you for your kind explanation, so my second streamer would not be the problem.

This does assume your endpoints you are streaming to support the same protocol, RAAT is preferred. And that your core has sufficient cpu power to do that many endpoints concurrently too. The same content can be sent to multiple endpoints of the same type by grouping. All this is detailed in the knowledge base.

@Rio_Alexander If you are having an issue then I suggest you open a new ticket in the #support area, and not continue to deliberate here.

In doing so please enter as much information as you can in the text areas so that we can better understand your setup to help guide you.

I’m sorry but according to my experience, it’s maybe will wait for the Avengers 4 produced to get response from support area with submitting ticket. And I think with sharing my issues at the forum maybe could help the others who have same issue and get the answer directly at the same place.

Anyway my Roon and Bluesound finally connected :slight_smile: Evidently, the problem is the roon server was installed at the second streamer (SOTM which have Windows Server OS). So I need to start it too if I want to remote my bluesound via Roon. Thanks for every help, cheers :smiley:

I’m always surprised how flaky the network functionality of Roon Core (running on a Synology) is with the Node 2i. After updating to the new version of Roon (1.7) it can’t see the Node 2i over ethernet. It does work over Wifi. But I’d rather NOT use Wifi if I didn’t have to. Thankfully my NAD (over wifi) isn’t affected.

Also I don’t know if it’s Roon, Node 2i or just how the server interacts with both. Hopefully it just a network caching issue. Maybe just switch from the NAS to a dedicated music server/player like the Innuos ZENmini?

Yes, it was a network caching issue. So, if Roon can’t see an endpoint in either wifi or ethernet I do the following:

1. Make sure all relevant software is up to date. Roon server and clients.
    (Roon will warn you if things require an update to be in sync, as with the recent 1.7 update)
  2. Reboot both server and endpoint device (in my case the NAS and Node 2i)
  3. If still no luck? Clear the network Roon is on by rebooting the router (You do can stuff on the command line but lets not get into that:)

That usually does the trick.

Random Addition to this forum…

The Auralic Aries Mini vs. Bluesound Node 2i. I own both.

1. Network Connectivity.

The most important function of any streamer is its ability to stay connected to the network. Nothing drives me crazier than a streamer that loses its connection or is slow to react to my button pressing. I had issues with the Node 2i in the beginning before realizing it was on my 2.4 network instead of my 5.0 network. Huge difference in its ability to stay connected. I’ve also never had any issues with the Aries Mini… except when it is close to another streamer. Yes if I have the Aries Mini next to the Bluesound or my full Aries Femto then it drops its connection. Strange, not sure why, but it happens. Anyway both do a great job staying connected on my network.

1. Sound Quality as a DAC/Streamer:

The Bluesound sounds richer - bass is more prominent, voicing is a bit more forward. The Aries Mini is a bit more laid back. The bass sounds like it is there and accurate but a little shy. They are very different sounding and I liked the Aries Mini better with some of my Schiit gear (Jotunheim) as the bass was a bit over the top for headphone listening with the Bluesound, especially with my Eikons as they can be a bit bass heavy. The BS though is very pleasant and I would rate it pretty well still and even better in my system that uses an AVR as the main integrated amp.

1. Sound Quality as a standalone streamer (I used an AQ Carbon Coax cable & toslink cable to verify):

This time connected to a Bifrost Multibit. Very similar again as they were with the DACs. The BS a bit richer and the Aries Mini a bit more lean but tighter bass. Both worked well but were nowhere close to the Aries Femto which helped open the soundstage quite a bit and made the bass very real sounding (not rich, not lean - just perfectly balanced).

Overall I think both work really well at what they do and if you can get a used Mini for less than $400 then pull the trigger! Same with the BS! Both were waaaaaay better than any laptop or desktop I’ve used. One note - the iFi 15v wall wart for the Mini definitely helped improve the bass and soundstage and I did use it when comparing it to the Bluesound.

3 Likes

Just got my Bluesound Node 2i home and set it up with my Nucleus. It’s playing music, but I can’t get it to play my DSD files - it converts them to 24/176.4 PCM. The Device Setup menu has no option for DSD settings but I’d read that this streamer is DSD-capable. I’m using it with wi-fi. Any suggestions guys?

I could be wrong, but my recollection was that it only offers DSD when directly connected to a Windows PC and played through the Bluesound app…at least that was the case with the Node2.

1 Like

Yes, I think you may be right. These companies are so sneaky in their specs. I’m sure when they mentioned DSD and Roon Ready they were no caveats or * small print.

I’ve managed to get it working with MQA on the second attempt. The first time I clicked on an MQA file the screen froze, went blank, and the 2i had vanished as a Zone (and my custom Zone icons had reverted to default icons). Now they’ve changed back to my customer icons and MQA is playing fine.

Fortunately I got the 2i on a sale-or-return basis. It’ll be going back tomorrow.

At least there’s plenty of choice of alternatives, depending on what you want…from RPi solutions at one end of the price spectrum, through to products from companies like Teac, Lumin and Mytek at the other. Happy shopping :grinning:

Hello @Woo and @dhusky,

The Bluesound Node devices do not decode DSD regardless of if they are played from the BluOS application or from Roon using Roon Ready. In both cases, the DSD stream is converted to PCM before playback.

-John

3 Likes

I’m itching for this

https://www.primare.net/products/np5-prisma/

1 Like

Does anyone know how to switch off the Bluesound Node 2i? There’s no switch on the unit and the app doesn’t seem to present an option to switch off either.

I borrowed one from a dealer for a few days and am giving it back, so need to switch it off. It keeps skipping the first few seconds of tracks so no good to me.

Push with your finger for five seconds on the ‘pause’ button on top of the unit and it will turn itself off.

1 Like