Bluesound Pulse 2 vs. Elac Discovery Z3

Although I have very much enjoyed the sound of the Elac Z3’s, only one has been hard-wired into router, and the other two have always been wireless. I’ve upgraded to WiFi mesh and still had same music slowly loading issues, then tried connecting the two wireless speakers to Wi-Fi mesh routers via Ethernet to wirelessly backhaul to main mesh unit and same errors. I did notice that in the Z3 app, which has never been updated to my knowledge, two speakers did not allow me to update to latest firmware until I did a factory reset. Same errors though. Remove two wireless speakers and only use wired Z3… same slowly loading audio files and skipping.
I’m only using Roon Core server on a sonictransporter or when trying different options, on QNAP NAS, both directly connected to Verizon router with Ethernet.
Today, I’m now removing all Z3 speakers and going to try only with two Naim Mu-s- QB 2nd gen speakers to see if that fixes the problem. I will have to say, the Naim app is awesome compared to the Elac app, though on initial sound checks, I may actually like the Z3 sound better on some music than on the Mu-so QB 2nd gen

Still loving my Elac Z3, I think it sounds great for a speaker of its size, the clear highs when listening to Jazz are particularly impressive for example.

I also take it one holiday etc and it does a great job.

I’m just a bit disappointed that I can’t add a second one and run them in Stereo….

Is there not a sneaky way to do this in Roon somehow?

Could I get a second speaker, group them together, and then use Roon’s EQ function to send only right to one speaker and left to another??

Does anyone have any ideas on this?

1 Like

Here you are.

Did it work? Did you pair two Z3’s in stereo? It’s an incredible little speaker, the best I’ve heard. Perfect for the kitchen, on top of a refrigerator, or in a small bedroom or office.

I have 4 Z3’s now, Kitchen, Office, Master Bedroom and a rover to use where needed. I had to remove my entertainment system while taking the primary listening space down to studs and concrete for renovation. The Z3 has temporarily replaced the 13 speaker 2 sub surround sound system in that space during destruction/construction and, amazingly fills the room with sound.

1 Like

I only have one Z3, but was wanting to try getting another. I guess I could try using an uneven pair to see if the principle works…

Also, just to give an update to my initial review, I upgraded my Pulse 2’s to the Pulse 2i’s. There is an overall improvement in sound but both the 2 and the Z3 were no slouches.

1 Like