BluRay based Surround Audio Music (2D/3D)

Torben,

Forgot to refer to your Q’s:

Acc to my knowledge roon natively doesn’t do surround.

Tidal offers surround streams. I get them into my system over a Fire TV stick connected to my AVM.

I am owning around 20+ pure Audio blurays with surround container’s and play them over my Bluray player.

Marcus

I can only play multichannel music from my own music library. For converting BluRay Audio and SACD to multichannel FLAC there are several tools available on internet. My roon endpoint is connected using HDMI to my Dobly Surround amplifier. I use the sample-rate-conversion to 192Khz to prevent an anoying ‘Plop’ sound when my Rotel amplifier switches from one sample rate to another.

1. HDMI from my Salkstream III, which houses Roon and my music files, to an Oppo 103.

2. I’ve bought discs from Amazon and ebay, then ripped them for playing using Roon. I don’t think I have any multichannel titles I bought as a download.

Thanks for your insights, guys!

What SW are you using?

Let’s see if I can remember (it’s been awhile)…… I think DVD Audio Extractor. For SACDs I used info in this thread to use my Oppo 103

1 Like

How are you getting that Atmos by The Weeknd playing in Roon ? Or have you ripped it from Apple Music somehow and converted to 7.1 channel FLAC ?

Thanks

DOLBY ATMOS Apple Music RIP

Here’s what you need:
MacOs
Apple Music
Blackhole (Virtual audio device)
A recording program (Audacity, FL Studio, etc)

1. Open up Apple Music and download your desired track/album (MAKE SURE IT’S DOWNLOADED OTHERWISE IT WON’T PLAY IN DOLBY ATMOS SURROUND SOUND)

2. Open your system preferences and change the computer’s input/output to blackhole 16ch

3. Open your recording program and change it’s audio device to blackhole 16ch

4. Go to your mixing board and select 6 different channels to record in at the same time.

5. From the stereo options, choose input 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, from the mono options choose 3,4,5,6

6. Now, press record and THEN press play on Apple Music. You should see the recording start.

7. Then finish recording. When the song is over, revert the system audio and the recording audio back to normal, and you should have three stereo tracks and 4 mono tracks.​

Thanks for the detailed reply however I have a snowballs chance in hell of doing what you have outlined !

:grinning:

You can record 5.1.2 or 7.1.4 as discrete PCM channels using Audacity while Apple Music Atmos streaming. No need to offline playback. :smiley:

You also need to change the Audio MIDI Setup for 5.1.2 or 7.1.4 speaker layout.

Apple Music must set Dolby Atmos: Automatic. Then CoreAudio will do DD+ Atmos decoding.

The final product will be 8ch (5.1.2) or 12ch (7.1.4). Since Roon only support 8 channels so better go 5.1.2 for it.

I use such trick and route the audio to HQPlayer for DRC, and also upsampling to 12ch DSD256. :grin:

1 Like

Love BluRay surround sound discs. I wish there were more available. I have all the XTC surround sound discs, three of the Be Bop Deluxe surround discs, all of The Beatles deluxe sets, all the Pink Floyd immersion box sets, Tears For Fears The Hurting and Love and Rockets Seventh Dream Of Teenage Heaven. I just think it adds a new dimension to the sound and allows you to get more into the music. I hope that more of them become available.

Just listening to this on 5.1 SACD:

It’s a great surround mix :smiley:

5 Likes

Hello, Sort of a new Roon user!! What I really would like is for roon to play mkv files, bitstream to my receiver would be great. The reason is simple, to play bluray audio files that have Dolby TrueHD atmos encoding. I find myself buying more and more bluray audio discs and many of them come with a Dolby TrueHD atmos track. Ripping it to flac looses the atmos track, and the atmos track is the reason I am buying the bluray audio disc in the first place. Currently, I make an mkv file of the bluray audio disc (my backup of the disc) with the atmos track and play it through my NAS. BUT, I now have to use a second “front end” to play these atmos files. It would be great if roon could play these mvk files (no video is needed, just stream the audio) to avoid multiple interfaces. Love multichannel music!!!