Bookmark folders

BTW, if bookmark groups :upside_down_face: should get considered for implementation it would be nice if this request --> Bookmarks: save (customized) positions globally (or per profile) would be taken into account at the same time. It feels clumsy enough to sort bookmarks, having to do it on every remote anew isnā€™t too much fun.

2 Likes

Hello. I would also like to be offered some manner in which to folder bookmarks. I use an ever-growing set of randomized bookmarks for listening to specific types of music. Even allowing a smaller font for the bookmarks would be a reasonable step that would minimize endless scrolling.

This has been asked for before, but Iā€™ll happily +1 it again. I have quite a few bookmarks and would really like to be able to organise them in some way.

I use tags, and since you can add tags to tags, I effectively am able to have folder-ed bookmarks.

For example, I have a tag called ā€˜Top Classicalā€™ bookmarked; that tag contains tags for Top Composers, Top Conductors, Top Ensembles, Top Pianists, etc. In this example, everything is grouped/browsed by Artist (except composer).

In another example, I have a ā€˜Rock/Pop Favoritesā€™ tag with about 25 of my favorite artists. Under that I have, for example, a ā€˜Beatlesā€™ tag which contains tags for the group and individual membersā€™ artist pages, stereo albums, mono albums, US albums, and special/anniversary releases.

In this arrangement, I have a relatively small number of ā€˜top levelā€™ tags which lead, with another click or two, deep into those parts of my library which I go to frequently. My Roon experience is split about 50/50 between browsing this way and spending time on the Overview page for hearing recent additions and recommended (new) music.

Iā€™ve found tags to be one of the most versatile tools in Roon, even better than Focus (although you can use Focus to narrow tags once youā€™ve established a good infrastructure).

+1 for subfolders for tags

@Dajokr - How do you add tags to tags? I have a ā€˜classicalā€™ tag for all of my classical albums. I then have a series of tags representing subfolders, for genres like 20th century, Romantic, Baroque, and then I have a third level folder splitting each of these into composers. But the only way I have been able to do this is to create a tag for ā€˜classicalā€™ then a tag for each genre then a tag for each composer which yields over 100 tags, which is impossible to navigate. How can I use your tags within tags?

+1 for folders for bookmarks, or possibly even better: the ability to somehow TAG a bookmarked Focus view?

The limitation with TAGs is you canā€™t save any ā€˜smartā€™/dynamic aspects of a filter for quickly shuffling a set of tracks. For example, if I regularly like to listen to Blues music released after 2001, but not hear any tracks Iā€™ve played in the last 3 months, the only way to do this currently is to create a ā€˜focusā€™ and bookmark it. Once youā€™ve set up a few of these, they quickly become unmanageable. Its the equivalent of storing bookmarks in a web browser. If you canā€™t sort them by folders, they quickly become unmanageable.

If you could apply a TAG to a focused view, you could then do something clever like @Dajokr described, which would be a powerful way of clicking through ā€˜tagsā€™ to get to a pre-configured focus and thus get a dynamic view of tracks to shuffle. That would be awesome!

Now we have folders for playlists could we also revisit the idea of having folders for bookmarks? Back in 2015 @danny said ā€¦

Well, itā€™s been 9 years since then and I can state that I still find doomscrolling through my bookmarks an inelegant, time-consuming, and often frustrating experience. Please give us the ability to bring some order to the chaos.

And yes, I realise that this feature request only has one vote but surely Iā€™m not the only one who finds bookmarks deeply frustrating :frowning:

2 Likes

Hello. I agree with requesting folders for Bookmarks. Another benefit is Bookmarking an Artist in Roon is independent of your streaming service. So, leaning on Bookmarks keeps your data intact (and a lot of them with Folders) for Artists when you change streaming services. A big plus. There are likely other examples of Bookmarks being independent of the streaming service. Thanks! Barry

1 Like