Bookmark folders

Would it be possible to implement bookmark folders, like those in Firefox for example? With a rapidly growing number of bookmarks it would be great of have this level of organization.

3 Likes

yikes, we feared thisā€¦ we didnt really know how bookmarks were going to get usedā€¦

can you tell us how you are using bookmarks?

Sorry to alarm you @danny :wink:

At the moment I use bookmarks to save various Focus configurations, for example to identify downloads from different sources (Hyperion, Qobuz, Presto Classical, etc), high resolution albums, unidentified albums, Tidal albums, etc. I also use bookmarks to group collections, e.g. the Hyperion Schubert Edition and the Harnoncourt / Leonhardt Bach Sacred Cantatas series.

In JRiver, I use smarlists to achieve the same and group them into playlist groups such as Dowloads and Collections.

Chris

I was opening a thread about bookmarks but I found this so Iā€™m here to ask basically same things.
Iā€™d like to use bookmarks for things like ones described by chris up here (Unidentified, hiRes, Tidal, etc) or other things
For Example I could have a folder named Miles Davis with bookmarks created with tags like First quintet, Second Quintet, With Coltrane, With Gil Evans, Second Quintet, Electric etc or a Folder named Prog with bookmarks created with focus on genre and years like Proto Prog (1967-69), Golden Age (1970-1976), late Prog (1976-80) and so on.
For doing thing like this, folder organization like in Internet Browsers with folders and subfolders is necessary.

I hope this not to alarm Dannyā€¦:wink:

Thanks

andrea

Iā€™m guessing this feature request hasnā€™t proved popular, but Iā€™d like to add my vote to the idea of adding bookmark folders (or some other way of nesting them). At this stage Iā€™m not using them extensively, but only because I donā€™t particularly want to navigate through a long scrolling list. If I had folders Iā€™d be able to sort them more efficiently.

Thanks,

1 Like

Throwing my vote behind this too. I love the bookmarks feature. I use it extensively to bookmark my favorite engineers, producers, record labels, focus views, etc. It was a stroke of brilliance to add this feature to begin with. Iā€™d love to have folders so I can organize them.

Love what you all are doing! Keep up the amazing work.

Thanks,

Matt

I use bookmarks for a wide variety of track/composer/album/random stuff collections.

It would be great to have folders or some other non-structured organization method to (for example) separate track book marks from album bookmarks, or separate them by genres or random tags iā€™ve created to group objects.

Iā€™d like to have this feature too. Over time, the number of my bookmarks has grown to a level that there needs to be some type of organization - a folder structure would be great. I currently use bookmarks to build lists of my favorite music for specific artists, genres, and composers.

Regards,
Music Mac

Iā€™ll bump this one, as this is something Iā€™d find very useful, but as the original request was posted in 2015 Iā€™m not going to hold my breath :slight_smile:

Bumping. My bookmarks are growing out of hand - would be great to be able to create folders for related bookmarks in order to better organise things.

See, the problem with this request is the word ā€˜foldersā€™. The word ā€˜folderā€™ carries a lot of baggage for Roon.

Need to think of another word for what you want.:wink:

How about ā€˜setsā€™?

1 Like

Yes, or submenu / group?

Why this hesitation against this.

Same withā€¦coughā€¦:

Bumping this as well ā€¦ would like to be able to organize my bookmarks by folder, similar to using folders in web browsers ā€¦ quickly access large groups of albums subdivided - it would help navigate my large and steadily expanding library of 13000 plus albums ā€¦ John

What you want is some hierarchical way to organize playlists and bookmarks so they are more manageable than a flat list.

This is a no brainer and I am surprised this does not already exists. But I am also surprised that smart playlists like what iTunes offered are not already present.

I think there have been a few other threads where this has been mentioned so Iā€™ll add my +1 to this one as well.

The Roonies have stated they are not really playlist usersā€¦

I only used iTunes for a few months but in that short time found dynamic/smart playlists to be very useful.

I am not a playlist person anymore. I used to be when I used iTunes. When I switched to Roon and really got back into listening to music on a quality 2 channel system, I became someone who listens to full albums instead of single tracks or playlists.

Listening to full albums fundamentally changed how I looked at music. I stopped being a person that listened to hit songs and became a person that appreciated the art that went into making albums. This opened me up to many more artists than I would have listened to when I listened to popular songs.

So, I really donā€™t care about playlistsā€¦but I know many people doā€¦and it shouldnā€™t be that hard to have great tools to build playlists.

I still donā€™t understand why better naming & using filter is not enoughā€¦ itā€™s so fast and easy to chop up multiple ways

I presume you mean Focus and saving it as a Bookmark?

Yeah, it worksā€¦itā€™s just not as easy to use as iTunes query builder interfaceā€¦

Maybe you guys can put together a tutorial on how to do this ā€œfast and easy to chop up multiple waysā€ method you of which you speak to create smart playlists. Because it hard enough that many donā€™t bother even trying.