Roon 1.3 : Top Priorities

Helo pak Andrianto. I wonder how many other fellow Roon users there are in Indonesia.

I don’t think a single cd by an Indonesian artist has been identified, pop or gamelan style classical, in my collection.

Apart from (much) easier manipulation of tracks in the Identification process especially, my main hopes remain the option to prefer the existing tags for composer and orchestra.

The additional option to Play album after album currently playing remains very desirable too.

Try Add to Queue

You miss the point. There may be 4 albums in the queue after the one playing currently. This is to play the newly selected album after the album currently playing, before the other 4 albums lined up, not after them too, which is all that would be achieved by adding to the queue.

1 Like

Helo mr simon. i don’t think many used roon in Indonesia. In my country audiophile still used the old ways either cd or sacd, and new audiophile more prefer portable audio. There is some cd that identified, but gamelan, dangdut, keroncong and many other Indonesian original genre not identified. That’s why i think easier manual meta edit is priorities.

+1 also for me

And what about these old requests?

Is there any possibility to see the feature in 1.3?

1 Like

What about a LIGHT QOBUZ INTEGRATION ? Actually BubbleuPnP integrates a Qobuz feed. Why not an integration of BubbleuPnp and Roon (needs OpenHome compatibility). It would probable be less elegant tha the actual integration with Tidal, but it would be just great for Qobuz Users who currently have to switch from one application to another.

2 Likes

Reconnect timer for Roon Remote App set to a reasonable value so minor network problems do not lead to App reconnect.

1 Like

Sonos support via UPNP with volume control and grouping.

1 Like

There’s this little tidbit, I guess:

Subject to change, of course. :wink:

Fingers crossed for a nice present then :slight_smile: . Direct sonos support, will give me the ultimate streamer (Sonos connect). As it now supports Spotify connect. Roon would be the icing on the xmas cake!

Whilst there has been indications that Roon is working on Sonos support I don’t think they have committed to it coming with 1.3.

This is the most recent I have seen. Looks like they are well down the road so maybe you will get the icing you are looking for.

Meantime if you follow the links in this I think you can get it working via AirSonos.

Danny said this in another thread recently.

The fact is that even the devs don’t know for sure when 1.3 will be released. They have hopes as Danny has expressed in the quotes above, but such hopes have run into realities exposed by testing in the past. All we really know is that they are working hard on it and are as motivated to get it out as we are to receive it.

+1 on no white text on black background in light theme. That’s the reason for me Why I went away from Spotify (besides sound quality) and all other ‘modern’ black background interfaces, just too hard on the eyes. The darker Tidal section background in the Roon interface is o.k. But plain text reading in this high contrast is straining my eyes a bit too much

1 Like

My top 1.3 priorities would go along way for me turning my current trial into a membership…

1. DR ratings
  2. Ability to use Roon in multiple locations without having to de-authorise home core every time!
  3. Chromecast as an endpoint - with the advent of products like the ifi SPDIF purifier this little budget device really can now be taking more seriously

Suspect am probably too late with these suggestions! Maybe they are already in hand.

Expectations must be pretty high if this release is taking so much work!

A lot of what’s being done in 1.3 is not trivial, hence it takes time regardless of our expectations.

Although there are no promises from what has been said elsewhere on the forum it looks like all three of these are on the roadmap. However I don’t think they will be in 1.3 which is largely focused on metadata improvements.

Go for the lifetime anyway, Roon with a Tidal Hi-Fi subscription is still the best bargain in high end audio and you will very likely get these things before too long and you will be able to enjoy Roon between now and then for free!

2 Likes

34 posts were merged into an existing topic: Dynamic Range Metering

Repeating myself: all the features and operational improvements to the current functionality are immaterial compared to mobility. Specifically, allowing the value of Roon to be disconnected from one room, one LAN, one building. This means allowing my library to be used in multiple locations, both permanent locations like a vacation hone or office, and temporary locations like a hotel. And supporting my library in a mobile device, a phone or tablet or music player. And a car (Apple CarPlay?). And lots of cloud support etc.

All else is gilding the lily. Roon is already great. Improvements are certainly welcome, as discussed at length here. But to me, they do not change the world.

But mobility does. Several perspectives:

Personal value: I am happy with Roon when I have it but there are many times when I don’t have it. If 1.2 is worth $10 and a hypothetical perfect Roon is worth $20, and an improved 1.3 is worth $12, there are many times when I have $0 because I am away. So $12 for 60% of the time and $0 for 40% is a total of $7.20, while 1.2 for 100% of the time is $10.

Strategic: the world is going mobile. The central computing device for most people is becoming a “phone” (it’s strange how we name a powerful computer for its poorest app). Windows vs. iPhone or Android. iPhone vs, Mac, for that matter. How do most people listen to music? The stats are clear, not just headphones but Beats. And it’s not just low quality stuff: both my Astell & Kern and my iPad with the Audeze Lightning DAC/amp are outstanding, but neither has Roon value.

Demographic: there has been lots of discussion about how the industry, through both product design or demo music, are appealing to well-to-do middle-aged white men. I’m one of them, but we are not a long-term bet. Near-term revenue may be appealing, but I have seen many appealing products and companies spiraling into irrelevance. Sure you can put young music in a Roon library, but without mobility it won’t appeal to young customers.

Yes, I’ve said this before and I know the guys unspderstand it. And I don’t imagine I’ll redirect 1.3 at this point. And of course I’ll appreciate metadata editing. I’m just keeping the fires stoked.

7 Likes