Boomer Bug- Nirvana refiled to the hippie band

half the Nirvana catalogue does not show up under the US band Nirvana, its under the british hippies band of the same name

Like what? Not for me. Are these local files? Did you import them before the 90ies Nirvana had been added as an artist into your library? If so, this is a known, annoying Roon behavior - it will often misattribute or create a duplicate artist if the proper one is not yet in the library when you import. Solution: have a properly identified album from the correct artist (easiest from a streaming service) in the library before you import

1 Like

Hmm thats an interesting bug. I dont have any music by the other band though so I dont know how my library could have triggered the bug.
And Ive gone through and made sure the files are tagged with the correct MB artist ID which is

Nirvana (90s US grunge band)

The wrong band is Nirvana (60s band from the UK)

I cant work out why it puts a small number of albums under the wrong artist.

Even when I go and tell roon to select the artist from the file tag it still puts it in the wrong place.

Maybe I have to take them out of the folder, rescan, clear the dead files out of the library, and then, re-add. If there are other suggestions I would be glad to hear them :slight_smile:

I don’t know of any other :frowning:

The issue happened to me all the time, so before I import something I always go through all credits (not just primary artist) and make sure that I add a streaming album with the proper credit. (They can be removed from the library again after importing, if they are not wanted. It’s the same when editing (adding) credits within Roon - they are not found if the artist is not yet in the library and it creates duplicate artists). It’s a PITA but the only solution I could find.

I wrote about one version of this here, and there are links to threads with other variants of the issue:

Another option is to change the primary artist (and any other “Nirvana” credits) within Roon to the correct Nirvana. Multiselect all affected albums, click (…) > Edit, then edit the credits as needed.

Again, first ensure that an identified album by the correct Nirvana is already in the library, else it won’t find it during editing

It wont do it.

Ive taken files out, picked a problem album and removed metadata then imported. It wont find it. So I added the metadata back and roon insists on putting it to the wrong artist. Tried creating new artist before importing but it still adds other versions of the same album to the correct artist and this to the wrong artist

So I edit the album to change artist. Look up the artist, search nirvana, click on correct one, and then uncheck all the wrong ones.

And then I go to hit Save and… NOTHING HAPPENS!!! it wont save because it doesnt think Ive done any changes

No idea what’s wrong there :man_shrugging:, it always works for me if I make sure that the artist is in the library (even if fixing it after the fact)

Some/all of the Roon identification issue may be due to your weirdly formatted metadata.

The most glaring example is “1991 Nevermind 2013 Blu Ray.” That is not a canonical album, hence not a proper Album tag. It is Album and Version tags all jumbled into one messy tag.

“MB Release,” as a tag, I have no idea what software, if any would read that properly. MBID is the canonical tag, I believe, if there even is one for that field. Probably irrelevant, though, because as far as I know, Roon does not use any MusicBrainz tags for identification. Rather, Roon uses various other heuristics to identify and match albums to its own datasets that may or may not include MusicBrainz metadata.

AJ

2 Likes

Hi @george_samuel,

Can you please upload an affected example local album here? Our QA team will attempt to reproduce this and identify what’s wrong.

Here’s a media uploader link you can use. Please compress (zip) the file before uploading if possible. Thank you!

I “fixed” it by going into each album manually, looking up artist, and setting it to the correct one.

There was no upload button but this should work

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.