Boot Ropieee XL from external USB?

Hello Harry and everyone.

I’m trying to boot a Pi3 with the HifiBerry Digi+ Pro and the official 7’’ inch display from an external mSata USB hard drive but the process hands after a point during boot process.

Please see screenshots for exact display output.

It’s worth to mention that I had been using the exact same configuration with Picore Player and LMS as a Squeezbox device and worked flawlessly.

From a quick research I did it seems there’s a problem with the Kernel, possibly a bug?
My question is, is there way to build RopieeXL from scratch based on a Raspbian Lite image?

Is it possible to set up the system on a microSD and then create a copy of the SD with DD and transfer it onto the mSATA?

I’m thinking of any possible way to boot from USB as my Hardware Configuration containing the HAT and the display is custom made/mounted and ideally I’d want it to be as robust as possible - it won’t be easy to remove microSD in case of failure as access is limited underneath the board itself.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

2019-11-06|666x500

RoPieee does not support booting (or running for that matter) from another storage device then the SD.

1 Like

Oh, I see…

So I guess my only way is to stick with microSD…

Yes. You can find SD extension cables on the internet though :wink:

2 Likes

That’s a good idea. I’ll probably get one to be on the safe side.

It’d be however a great option if a future Ropieee version would support external booting. I don’t know how difficult that is from a developing/software perspective but I’m certain it would make a great addition!

Thank you for responding so promptly though. You saved me a lot of time and hassle as I would probably continue to try to achieve USB boot for the rest of the evening… :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks also for all your efforts !