Bring back local search / offline functionality for offline Roon Core [restored with Build 1365]

This coder faced with that attitude would get themselves another job with a better boss :wink:

3 Likes

When Roon says in the latest release notes that there is no going back to legacy version and that is needed for code optimization and further development, which elements are there?
Is the memory usage now considerably lower, has the latency been improved, … ?

That’s exactly the point!

4 Likes

Yes, we paid a lot of money for a product to use OUR LOCAL files.
Roon changed the range of function radical for these users.
If an online requirement for local files had always existed, I would never have buy a lifetime membership.

3 Likes

The other big question is whether it’s just “your” Internet that is at issue here. If Roon is hosted in one of the big cloud providers (and I don’t know if this is the case, but likely IMHO) and that provider has an outage like one of the types suffered last holiday season, then EVERYONE’s Roon could go down.

As we have just seen with ARC on the weekend :wink:

2 Likes

“Danny did the math…”

I think we waste our time in this forum. I did the math too.

1 Like

I have also initially voted to enable offline playback but seeing how people getting obssesive about being able to play always all of their precious music via Roon makes me wonder.
To these people I would like to scream “IF THE INTERNET IS DOWN, GO OUT AND GET A LIFE!”
BUT I will NOT do that.
Instead I want to point out that there are mulitble other options to play your music when the internet is down, like Volumino, LMS or put parts (or your whole) library onto a Micro SD into a DAP etc…

That’s accurate within a limited context. None that have DSP to multiple endpoints across a multitude of branded products.

Just a question… Not sure if this was discussed above. I searched.

Does “filter” (not search) work when internet is down? Is there an interface that could be designed that might conflate search and filter (so people would feel like search works even if technically it’s not “search” that’s working)? I’ve often thought it’s confusing that there’s both filter and search, and I know they are doing very different things.

I have now worked out how to DIY apply the headphone filters and crosstalk I use on Roon. The process isn’t ideal, you end up with files that are optimized for one pair of headphones only. I’ve gone with my fave IEMs for portability, and I’m not sure I want to buy another set of SD cards for the at home cans. It’s a start though.

That is right, but we are all old white dudes here and have enjoyed listening to music on way worse systems than our current ones without Roon DSP. :slight_smile:

Feels like an unfair punishment.

Why am I not allowed to play my Nucleus’ SSD local files when the internet connexion is temporarily down (happens randomly several times a year in my area)?

All my home zones depend 100% on Roon, which is why I took a life subscription. Please let me listen to my locally stored music when the internet connexion is down.

2 Likes

This goes beyond “if I lose internet access” and convenience. This is a key selling point for roon for me. One of the big reasons to get into roon is trying to build a music solution that has a lifetime membership option (getting rid of monthly subscription fees) and plays my music that I store locally and can’t be taken down. The idea is that even if Roon as a company died, they would take away the phone home code and my local server would still be able to play my local files. If anything I want MORE of the roon services to live on my local server, not less. I want as much of roon on my local box as possible, even if some of those features were exclusive to lifetime subscripers

7 Likes

I had a thought. Because it’s been stated that Roon needed to change their software development strategy and run more of their code on the roon server side (in the cloud) wouldn’t it be possible for Roon to offer the server side code to users with the means to run their own server, for an additional fee, possibly with a security USB?

I get that this is important to your software development strategy, and to providing good user experiences to average new users. But I believe you can achieve both.

Simply provide a docker image or equivalent to interested parties to run their own dedicated Roon server. It could be encrypted to not operated without a usb security key, and would still connect to roon’s home servers occasionally for system updates, but would be able to run for long periods of time offline.

This would be great for systems installed in vacation homes, yachts, private jets, etc.

this business model already works in custom home cinemas with Kaleidescape, and they are doing very well. Is this something that Roon might consider as a service that certain roon subscribers could pay an additional one time fee to access?

1 Like

Let’s be honest…. What drives the concerns of this thread is fear. Fear that the internet will go out and we will not be able to console ourselves with music. I mean, when the power goes out, we worry about a lot more than music yet it’s the same result. Pretty sure my power goes out more often and for a longer length of time (storms, ice, accidents) than does my internet service (when power is still on). In many ways, we’ve come to depend upon the internet as we do with water and electricity.

But equally true, no one took away my frig’s ability to function when the power is out. But Roon did make a strategic business decision to remove the ability to play local music when the internet is out. It will not cause me to quit using Roon (well, except for when my internet is out ;-), but it will cause a bit of annoyance when it happens. And if it starts happening often (not Roon’s fault), I will get frustrated and some of that will get focused at Roon. Pretty sure they know this now.

I can’t help but believe there are ways for Roon to address this in some limited-functionality scenario, but I’m equally certain it’s a non-trivial development effort. Given the high number of votes this issue has collected, it will be interesting to see how Roon responds.

Given Roon has already stated that they’ve had fewer complaints about this than anticipated, I don’t think they are motivated to change direction on this.

It differs depending on where you are. In 50 years living in Austria and Germany, I experienced one power outage that I remember, it took one hour. My internet is out for a day or two every year and more often for shorter times, sometimes just a minute - the problem with this is you never know how long it will be and whether setting up something else makes sense, or if it will be back anyway before you are done.

Anyway, as I wrote elsewhere recently:

Maybe instead of waving it away, Roon could have a help page explaining such options (that don’t involve telling people to just use a different digital product. Vinyl is one way :wink: )

While power outages are common here when winter storms blow in off the Pacific with 90 km/hr winds I haven’t personally had a power outage in 7 years. My fibre internet glitches a few times a week, sometimes just for a few minutes but it’s not as reliable as our electrical grid.

I’ve thought about this as well and would love to see Roon add a section in the Knowledge Base about it. I’m also using ROCK on a NUC and I’m not aware how I could connect the NUC to to my iphone hotspot in such a situation. So I’ve considered having Roon Server also installed on my laptop which will easily connect to my phone hotspot for internet. So hopefully I could then just switch my Roon license to the laptop and move my USB drive from the NUC to the laptop, restore the most recent Roon backup to it, and run Roon from there. But tethering my iPhone as a hotspot to the router (sadly not a Fritzbox) or directly to the NUC would be a far better solution - just one I’m clueless on how to implement. But I’ll bet some folks do.