Bring back local search / offline functionality for offline Roon Core [restored with Build 1365]

Count me in for this request. I would at least like to be able to enjoy my local music that I own through Roon if my internet goes out! Heck, it seems I can’t even put in one of my CD’s and play it through Roon without internet.

7 Likes

After losing Internet access for a month last year (due to ISP mistakes), I have a keener interest in this than I might otherwise.

Apologies if this has already been mentioned (I’ve skimmed the thread), but from a coding perspective I wonder how different the fallback needs to be from the ‘Roon going bust’ doomsday scenario that @danny has already said is covered? If there’s already a ‘big red lever’ coded for this, could that not be the offline mode? I appreciate this is a gross simplification, but given I have Roon already, I’d like not to have to invent my own failoover strategy for when my ISP next decides to do something silly.

6 Likes

One would imagine that it is not very different at all. I’ll confess I’m pretty sceptical about Roon’s ability to make good on their best intentions here.

7 Likes

Just want to say this again. We had a storm last week and I lost internet for a week. It is very frustrating to lose access to my library and have to jury-rig a player. As a lifetime subscriber, I feel ripped off to lose the product when a tree falls outside.

13 Likes

Disappointed here - in the midst of an internet outage. Love Roon and ARC (which I use regularly in the car and while travelling), but an offline mode would be welcome. I have voted above.

For me, search could be completely disabled in offline mode as long as one can browse the collection, use filters and initiate playback. I don’t use streaming services so Roon Radio is unimportant but ‘classic’ radio without Valence would be nice in offline mode.

It’s not even important to me if bios and reviews don’t load, as long as playback is possible.

Hoping for a softening of the position from Roon management here.

10 Likes

I open a vote, which is for the function of ROON offline during an internet failure, to be able to read its library locally.

And the right to use ROON offline for people with a lifetime license.

Vote

@ElMuppet, please search the forum for existing #feedback:feature-suggestions before posting. Accordingly, I have moved your post to this thread.

Exactly the point. I rarely use search so no sure why i need it to be able to play back local tracks.

4 Likes

Had another period of internet downtime here due to weather. I wasn’t able to listen to any music for more than 48hrs.

This is really disappointing, and still no updates from the Roon team on this - are we banging our heads against a brick wall…??

10 Likes

it is no longer a brick wall at this level, after 403 votes and 289 messages, but rather a reinforced concrete wall. There is no response from the team, what a disappointment

5 Likes

There was a response, though maybe not the one you hoped for

What is roons vision? Please state it.

That’s a fair question and one that many ponder upon, but after falling foul on commenting on such questions Roon no longer publish their product / development roadmap.

In what way is the new search capability any better than the old one? Perhaps look at Googles search capability. If I type in Phil Colins, Roon still doesn’t present Phil Collins, it finds no results, Google has no such issues, I accidentally typed Ohil Colins and it still found it instantly.

6 Likes

Hey Roon!

Fix this… search is still crap. We obviously can live with that. Not having access to our local music when we are off line is wholly unacceptable!

17 Likes

Ever since the inception of 2.0, my Roon/internet has not let me down until yesterday. All of the sudden Roon stopped working and then I realized my internet was out. The outage lasted several hours and I was truly disappointed that Roon was inoperative. I now have sympathy for all of the Roon customers with less than reliable internet service. I now know first-hand why customers are very disgruntled with Roon requiring internet service. It is too bad that it is all or nothing with no in between.

10 Likes

Imagine dozens of hifi retailers at a show recently apologising to customers for 3 days straight about patchy internet affecting demos. When really it was Roon. This is the annoying reality of it.

6 Likes

'fill bollins" returns Phil Collins as a first result, too! That’s nuts.

Fuzzy search logic is the only excuse I can think of for moving searches to the cloud. If you’re only going to implement basic searches that any programming language will facilitate what is the point of inconveniencing your entire user base with internet dependency?

Google saves me from my ham fisted typing on an iPad.

3 Likes

Voted, because preventing me to play my own music from my own local library when my internet connection is down is a deal breaker for me and I will not extend my roon subscription. There is a German proverb that “other mothers have beautiful daughters, too”.

“Better search” is a lame excuse, btw. Roon search still isn’t able to find “Al Gren”.

9 Likes