Bring back local search / offline functionality for offline Roon Core [restored with Build 1365]

I recently bought a Lumin U2 streamer and their latest firmware supports Plexamp, Plexamp uses fuzzy search logic. Typed Phill Colins and it found it instantly, also no slow searching, no idea if it’s internet dependent, I’ll try that later, only just starting.

For people with libraries like me where I don’t use any streaming services this is superb.

Roon as a strong competitor especially with the price for Plex, and it does movies, TV shows as well. No idea what devices Plexamp supports.

Lift your game Roon or you’ll lose customers. I’m a lifetime member but many aren’t.

12 Likes

Audirvana made a joke out of it with its latest advertising:

A through ball from Roon.

10 Likes

I have been offline for a week and have neither internet nor telephony. Audirvana Origin and Plexamp fortunately continue to work and can play my local-only music (I don’t stream).
With this in mind, it was a good decision that I did not buy a lifetime license of Roon last year…

6 Likes

If the feature set suited you - then good choice. If you based your choice only on Internet requirements… then how often are you offline?

Oh I like the feature set very much — Roon is perfect for me in that way.
But features alone are only one side of the coin. Perhaps I need to elaborate a bit more: I reject a subscription model in the field of software. If a software doesn’t offer a lifetime license, it’s out of the running for me. A high-priced license like the one from Roon I then of course take a close look at.
And here it is like in real life, before you commit yourself for a lifetime: When you have met a partner who almost embodies the ideal and seems to be perfect - and then you find this character trait or political attitude that absolutely contradicts what is important to you. AND you know the partner will not change in this area - then it will not be my partner.
Same with Roon: own server, own network, own music (no streaming) - and some company prevents me from using my stuff. Sorry, I can’t support this business model. And as a customer, I only have the option to spend my money with companies whose products and philosophy I like.

By the way, I am offline for the ninth day. Audirvana and Plexamp are working…

5 Likes

This is something that crazily enough, note taking apps are getting flack for as well. I simply will not sign up for a note taking app if I can’t take notes on a long flight, or access them when I enter a new country without a sim card and the airport has terrible or nonexistent wifi and no sim kiosks are open.

I’m very surprised to learn that this is not the default behavior.

2 Likes

Clean up on aisle 5 complete.
Gentlemen, can we please keep it civil and respectful here.
Thank you.

3 Likes

A storm has disabled my Gb fiber Internet access (possibly for days/weeks, who knows?
I’d like to listen music. My Roon core won’t start. NO WHERE in Roon’s sales info can I find that Roon requires continuous Internet access to work. How do I access my library?

1 Like

This is correct as regards the front pages of the website but it is hidden away in the System Requirements section of the website. So you should see it when you go to download the program maybe. I think they should be more upfront about this requirement. I haven’t checked recently though.
It is certainly the case now that anyone with a chance of regular internet disruptions needs a plan B to listen to local music when the internet goes down. There are several threads on the subject.

if you think it going to weeks you can drop back to V 1.8 Legacy which doesn’t have the “always on” internet requirement

You will loose you entire database though as it’s not compatible. Not much use if you spent a long time building and editing.

3 Likes

You have found v2 Achilles heal it’s a real doozey. It’s something they don’t really want to push and really should be known more upfront as it’s hidden away in the requirements which hardly anyone reads especially if all ready a customer. A huge fuss was made at time on the community and on certain YouTube channels about the change but Roon seem stuck on this plan. It has its reasons but we are yet to see any fruition of the main one given.

6 Likes

Can you even log into a new 1.8 install when there is no internet?

@William_Womack:

If your router can be tethered to a phone by USB, you could use that

1 Like

No you can’t login now as it requires internet for authentication of core software licence. Only of use if it’s already installed and has called home recently as it needs to authenticate which it can’t without internet.

3 Likes

Could you please let me know what the benefits are for Roon users when introducing a technical solution that requires continuous exchange of information between the “Roon User” and “Roon Headquarters,” making it impossible to use Roon without this ongoing communication?

1 Like

It’s all in the thread I linked. Essentially, more and more functionality is going to move into the cloud and this is supposed to enable new future features that aren’t possible otherwise. Which is IMHO reasonable as such but doesn’t explain why a basic offline fallback isn’t possible that at least allows basic playback of local files.

However, it’s best to keep this discussion to the existing feedback thread, I suppose, where all of this was already discussed ad nauseam

It was essentially done to take advantage of cloud technologies to enhance the Search Function . So any search requires that internet traffic

Most people with a local library don’t have huge numbers of tracks so search isn’t that needed. I use tags 90% of the time or just scroll to an artist then album to get to a track. Just seems like all the justifications for the online requirement aren’t that useful to those complaining about it. So the reduced equation is that local file people are worse off, end of story. Just be nice for @roon to let us know officially that we’re not in their future plans.

I agree that for the $ roon need to get better at search and playlist recommendations. But stop stringing is the local file (original) crowd along.

I’ve got a parallel install of Plexamp when my Internet drops out, accesses the same file library.

The search function is also local and you can find stuff instantly and you don’t have to enter searches letter perfect to search, it does fuzzy searches.

2 Likes

I don’t know what you understand but it seems to me that new features that wouldn’t otherwise be possible is something that benefits users.