BT Entrypoint radio stops after ~15 minutes

I have just installed the Roon Extension Manager, the Entrypoint Gateway extension and the BT Entrypoint extension on my Raspberry PI 4 running the latest version of DietPI.

I can successfully connect my mobile (Pixel 6 running Android 14) to the Raspberry PI and can select and play the PI radio stream but, unfortunately, it stops after about 10-15 minutes at which point I can not restart it successfully until I disconnect the mobile and reconnect it - at which point I can restart the radio stream and it will run for another 15 minutes.

I’m not very familiar with linux in general and DietPi in particular so, although I can do basic tasks, advanced configuration/diagnostics is often beyond me. However, I have looked at the statisics graphs in the DietPi dashboard and I see what appears to be a memory leak - although I was not able to run it long enough to be sure.

The memory utilised graph obtained is:

Has anyone else experienced the same issue? Does anyone know what might be going on? Is it a installation/configuration issue - or is there a fault in the entry point system?

Also, I have noticed that the ROON Extension Manager has disappeared from the extension settings:

As can be seen above, I have version 0.1.2 of both the Entrypoint Gateway and BT Entrypoint extensions installed.

I have produced and annotised a memory trace over a longer period - including the point at which the roon BT entrypoint radio stream stops;

I don’t know whether or not this is significant.

I previously forgot to mention that my RPI4 has 8Gbyte of RAM installed.

I have tried removing and reinstalling the whole of the docker and roon extension software packages in on my Raspberry Pi and then using extension manager 1.1.2 to install the entry point gateway extension and the bluetooth gateway packages and I can not get them to work reliably.

I have also seen that once the Bluetooth Entrypoint extension is installed, then sooner or later the Extension Manager extension dissappears from my roon core extensions list and no amount of rebooting the raspberry Pi will bring it back.

By contrast, stopping and then removing just the Bluetooth Entrypoint container and then rebooting results in the Extension manager being correctly seen by my Roon core.

There appears to be some sort of conflict between the Bluetooth Entrypoint Extension (0.1.2) and the Extension Manager extension (1.1.2).

@Jan_Koudijs

Have you had any other reports like this - or is it just my system misbehaving for some reason.

I have the same issue with a Raspberry Pi 4b - 8GB…

Loading the bluetooth audio entry leads to the extension manager disappearing. Then, connectivity and streaming occasionally hiccups. Spent a couple of days - trying to load / reload - and troubleshoot, but couldn’t get it to work reliably. Gave up.

Had to switch to Airplay - audio entry. It’s solid - reliablel for as long as the audio stream is running, and I’ve activated it. After stopping the audio-stream within a few minutes the plugin stops as the stream becomes inactive. Guess it’s expected for it.

I also gave up on the bluetooth entrypoint extension and uninstalled it so that I could get the extension manager working properly again. I still have the Entrypoint gateway installed but I am not actually using it at present.

I recently upgraded my version of DietPi (to 8.24) and tried again but suffered the issue with the bluetooth configuration for the Bluetoon Entrypoint extension not working properly so I could not get the extension properly associated with the bluetooth device on the Rpi4 so again I put it on the back burner.

I have just upgraded Dietpi to 8.25.1 - but I have not subsequently tried the BT entrypoint extension.

@Jan_Koudijs

I just tried installing the BT entrypoint extension on my RPi4 running DietPi 8.25.1 and got the following issue:

I have to start by saying that I have not used this is a long time, so it might be just outdated and not worth a fix.

I updated to DietPi v8.25.1 and got the same error. Next I tried to get the bluetooth service running in DietPi what appears to be troublesome (I’m using a RPi 3B+). Steps I took are:

• systemctl unmask bluetooth
  • Turn Bluetooth off in dietpi-config
  • reboot
  • Turn Bluetooth on in dietpi-config
  • reboot
  • Check service systemctl status bluetooth

At this point the service still reported inactive.

At some point I got it running by starting the bluetoothd manually, killing it and then restarting the bluetooth service. In this stage the BT Entrypoint started but complained that there is no default controller available.

@Jan_Koudijs

For the BT entry point to work, - the bluetooth controller needs to be masked. I had a found a wiki page that advised a sequence to installing the different entrypoints for them to work.

The plugin is probably outdated, and needs some magic programming to sort it out.

With the bluetooth unmasked, and just via dietpi, - i could see it to connect with on the computer and phone. But masking bluetooth it disappears, and then, the bluetooth roon entrypoint still doesn’t see the controller for it to work.

Previous chat on github about similar issues.

@Wade_Oram

That error message you received, - remove the extension manager & docker, and reload them. Then, load the general audio entry gateway, followed by the bluetooth extension, - it’ll solve that. (don’t forget that bluetooth needs to be enabled in the diepi-config - advanced options. And, it has to be running without errors there first. Then, to mask it etc…).

@Jan_Koudijs

I have recently updated my Raspberry Pi 4 to DietPi 9.0.2 and I can now report that the issue with the BTEntrypoint that caused the Extension Manager to crash/dissappear seems to have ‘gone away’. I’m loath to say ‘fixed’ :wink:

By masking bluetooth before installing the BT entrypoint as suggested by @Tigo above, it also installed without getting the ‘no default controller’ issue.

The procedure that I used was (from memory):

1. Install bluetooth using dietpi-config (previously not installed)
  2. Check bluetooth using phone - dietpi not visible
  3. Check blue bluetooth using phone - dietpi now visible
  4. Use Extension Manager to instal Entrypoint Gateway
  5. mask bluetooth “systemctl mask bluetooth”
    6 reboot
  6. Use Extension Manager to install BT Entrypoint

Unfortunately, the ‘radio’ stream still stops after about 20 minutes and it still appears to exhibit the memory leak type behaviour according to the dietpi dashboard.

Observing the htop “RES” column, it appears to be the LiquidSoap process that is ‘leaking’ and eventually stopping.

After the radio stream stops, the memory usage for this process drops to 0.

The Extension Manager Dissappearing issue is not fixed. It just took longer to manifest itself.

Rebooting the Raspberry Pi does not bring it back.