Buffering size differences

Wow bumping this thread because I just stumbled on it and it’s so so so very good.

2 Likes

Having connected a LUMIN U2 Mini via AES/EBU I cannot find any setting to adjust buffer size?

Because it’s for USB only connections, when your AES it uses the AES standard protocols for streaming.

2 Likes

Are you saying that usb reclockers don’t make a difference? Cuz I think they make a huge difference

They do make a difference in the amount of money left in one’s wallet, but that’s about it. Since USB audio signal does not include any timing, good or bad, at all, as long as data arrives at DACs buffer within reasonable time rather than sometime tomorrow, it is all the same.

One could argue till cows come home whether USB galvanic isolation or noise suppression might make any difference (it won’t for any DAC that was designed by anyone competent, but there’s some remote theoretical chance that it might affect something), but not any kind of “reclocking.”

3 Likes

Have you never tried one? Cause they make a large audible difference, whether its simply fudging up the timing or whatnot is to be discussed but it does indeed make an audible difference to the sound.

Only when one is trying to justify to himself having spent money on them. Otherwise, they do not have any effect because there is no physical, or mathematical, or any other mechanism for them to have any effect.

This is coming from the same people who think literal media players somehow make a difference to the sound???

They do? That would be big news to anyone who works on them professionally.

But some people really want to believe that some bits are more perfect than others.

1 Like

id suspect most people who use roon are using it for audio quality

Bit perfect is bit perfect, there are no differences there. Of course, if you use DSP then it’s not bit perfect, but in that case it’s also not controversial that different players have sound differences.

2 Likes

idk about that, i used potplayer’s wasapi and it was a pain there were so many settings and they all sounded a bit different. I just use roon to keep it simple, theres no settings to mess around with. Except for that buffer thing, which for some reason does actually make a difference for god knows why