Build 1387 iOS stability and performance (ongoing)

Context: Roon app iOS performance has been basically awful for me for many months now (I don’t actually understand why it doesn’t get more posts in EA here as I see the same crash/hang/swipe quit in several installs I have visited besides my own :thinking:…has everyone just normalised this as how it is??).

B1387 has changed a lot of the app crashes to instant crash/quit rather than app hang/slow/unresponsive crashes (needing a swipe up/quit).

Just putting this up here as a marker for hopefully some @support comment or feedback.

9 Likes

Just as a data point, personally I don’t post about this because I never experience this issue (and not because I got used to it)

From me - no iOS issues on iPhone or iPad ever. Apart from needing to relaunch ARC once in a while…

@ncpl, I am in the same boat. The EA iOS app is constantly crashing/hangs/black screen for many month now. With build 1387 I think it got worse.

Honestly I think I have indeed normalized those crashes. I realize now that this is wrong testing behaviour. Sorry. Thanks for your post which is a wake up call for me.

I hope @support is willing to solve this issue.

2 Likes

That was the point of my post. It seems worse/different kinds of crash now. General poor performance has been since about B1321 in September 2023. Mostly any time the app has been in background for even just a minute (while you do something else on the phone or just put the phone down) it comes back in some sort of crash state requiring a swipe/quit/restart.

4 Likes

FWIW, I still experience the issue of the iOS app getting stuck “out of contact” with the core - spinning squid on page refresh + non-functional buttons requiring a kill and relaunch, but the app itself is neither crashing nor freezing (meaning that I can still navigate the app, even if pages aren’t loading and button pushes don’t register on the core). Latest iOS 17.4.1 and iPhone 15 Pro.

4 Likes

This has been the case since November they don’t seem to be in a rush to fix it. Tickets accumulating all the time for it.

3 Likes

From time to time I do come across issues where the app doesn’t update with what has actually been playing, due to the fact that the app wasn’t accessed for some time, or I was on other apps. I’ll restart the app and then it will sync immediately. It’s not crashing on its own though (so far).

1 Like

That’s it crashing silently as the app responds and will go to cached stuff but play controls don’t work neither does going to a page that hadn’t been cached as you then get the jellyfish. None of this is exceptable behaviour for the only way to control Roon.

2 Likes

I don’t have as many issues with the Roon ios app on my home library. The ARC app has been an issue as sometimes when I load a bunch of new music to my library (all locally stored - no streaming) I will open ARC app to refresh and it will kill Roon server causing a reboot of my server at home. It doesn’t happen too often but there’s definitely a relation to ARC killing Roon server sometimes when starting up and refreshing looking for recently added albums.

Yeah, I’ve stopped reporting this issue as its been the same for on my iPhone 12 Pro for at least 6 months.

3 Likes

my s22 ultra hangs and i have to restart the app after last 2 updates. till then everything was :peach:

1 Like

Same experience here. iPhone and iPad on current iOS.

2 Likes

I have build 1388 now. But the issue has been going on for months with my iPhone and iPad. Roon tech says they are working on it, but it just keeps getting worse. The professional who installed my Nucleus plus and a tech from Xfinity have both been to my house and examined my connections and the network. I have no problem with either… so it’s in the Roon app. If I don’t have a lifetime subscription, I would ditch the Roon service completely.

same here. i have to restart the app several times in one session. i have a nucleus and life time membership…somehow i did get used to it but it’s annoying. hope they solve it soon.

3 Likes

Another EA and no sign of a fix :pleading_face:

I started seeing iPad crashes again while scrolling albums with this version, hoping build 1389 has resolved it. I’ll test it out later.

iPad Pro Gen1 - Core is on a Mac mini M2 16gb ram.

For around 6 months I have had exactly this issue with iPhone 15 Pro Max. As a work around I bought an Amazon Fire tablet. No problems there when I can remember where I left it. Seems ludicrous that I have to take such a measure after buying such an expensive lifetime membership. Would be a little reassured if Roon commented on where they are up to with a fix.

2 Likes

I didn’t know there was a 1389. Mine still says 1388

Just released. The change log is in the Early Access thread. Pop into the settings - About - and see if an update is waiting!