Build 1395 EA: Another folders issue

I think something has been clearly over looked here.

A user who rips their CDs using a USB CD drive on a Nucleus or Rock device will end up with this for a folders view. Like me.

For those who want folders, this is a serious oversight.

Or was the assumption made that users who wanted folders don’t rip direct to a Nucleus or Rock.

Is Roon going to address this?

Yes, when?

If not, why not!

The rip directories were done when the folder view “will never happen” injunction was in place.
Why make them sensible when no one will ever see them.
If you want them sensible don’t used the Roon ripper :smile:
And talking of confusing, will you stop changing your avatar, I’m elderly and easily confused :confused::smile:

4 Likes

This was inevitable, and frankly if you care about folder browsing, it’s likely that you would be actively engaged in curating your own folder hierarchy. I’d be surprised if this group use the CD-ripping function of Roon OS.

For those of us who don’t care about folder browsing, this is probably a non-issue.

2 Likes

After it became available, I have only used the ROCK cd-ripping function, but I always run it through dbpoweramp for tagging after, then drop it in the artist folder.

1 Like

Yup, so you’re curating your own hierarchy…

1 Like

I’m sorry, but that is a ridiculous assumption to make @Geoff_Coupe

My point which is valid, it’s a shortsighted new feature.

Some users may not have known their cd rips end up in this folder naming system and want folder browsing.

I’m not keen on folder browsing, I’m am just bringing to the table a potential oversight. Which it is.

FWIW - I rip using Roon CD ripper as it’s a simple approach for me. Once fully ripped again, I’ll do a full export of my library out of Roon for me to have a hierarchy system. Roon’s, which is what I prefer.

:innocent:

And to further add. Inside the CD-Ripped folders it displays like this.

So surely the artist/album names is a possibility for the parent folders :wink:

If you look at the files directly in the file manager, none of them have metadata. The highlight is the actual file name.

Capture

The second CD I ripped with Roon was unidentified, and still is. This produces a horrible experience. Especially, if you have ripped several in a row and then there is no way to find out what they are except to listen to them later.

This is what it looks like in the folder view…

1 Like

Maybe Roon needs to offer a disclaimer

Roon CD ripping not advised for those who wish to use Roon Folders

My efforts were to highlight this to the EA team for further thoughts/consideration :grin:

For what it’s worth, adding Folders was because there was a (sizable) minority who wanted it because that’s how they organized their music already. Not sure that folder navigation is recommended to anyone who doesn’t already passionately desire it (which you wouldn’t, I imagine, if you’re using your Roon device to rip).

FWIW, I’m in the camp that it’d be better if folder navigation were off by default and needed to be enabled to even be seen. Because, as @danny so rightly observed long ago, it’s not exactly the point of Roon (at least as it was conceived back in the day). The whole intended orientation of Roon is to be “lean back” not “lean forward” - it’s just that we have a lot of users who happen to love Roon and also be extremely “lean forward”. As with all products, some people use it and want to use it differently than the originators / original developers intended. But I don’t think the point is to encourage others (who aren’t prepared - as I myself am not prepared) to “lean forward” in this regard. It creates cognitive dissonance, as you’re discovering. So I’m for configuration, and default “off”.

7 Likes