Build 259 UI Changes Feedback Thread

Haha, i was thinking the same. Let’s all just chill and listen to some fine sounds. Too much time on our hands for these 1st world problems methinks :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Maybe we could have five visible buttons? :kissing_heart:

In the old version when you pushed play or the song name, there was a full screen page with big circles for play now, add next etc. This page was very beautiful, easy to use e very modern in the look.

2 Likes

May be. What’s for sure is that there is no one, fixed, default button that will be an effective solution. There are too many different use cases. We should be able to choose our own default.

1 Like

Indeed, things will only get cluttered so let’s have options please.

1 Like

Another view!

Simple solution is to have one click play as it is, enlarge the pulldown menu and call it, Queue or Queue Options or Play Options. Can even replace the pulldown with a button and take it to the Paw Masher screen which so many loved.

Job done.

1 Like

That’s great if Playing is your primary operation. It’s not great if Queuing is your primary operation.

1 Like

Keith,

Doing as I suggest is no different to how it was before in terms of queuing procedure and everyone who was favouring queuing seemed happy enough with that, no?

Effectively Roon would be adding buttons for immediate playing to satisfy those of us who appreciate both options or favour 1 click play. Do you begrudge folk that option?

1 Like

Sallah_48,

I can’t speak for everyone but I disliked the old behavior (too many mandatory clicks) and find the new implementation to be an improvement.

What I’m looking for is for them to let us choose the default button. If they implemented that, everyone could not only have what they liked, but they could change it depending on their needs (party mode, etc).

I like 1 click Play too. I want you to be able to keep it. I would prefer 1 click Add to Queue. We should be able to decide for ourselves.

3 Likes

As a committed queue person, I believe two steps is inevitable as I choose " add next" or “add to queue” about 50/50. Having a bigger button named “Queue” would be nice, but our muscle memory will be re-trained no matter what transpires.

1 Like

well yes, i would like that too :slight_smile: -

Problem is this for the queue options;

You’ve got Add Next and Add to Queue and possibly the Radio jobby too to consider.

I can understand the guys scratching their heads on this one as what’s the alternative? Have a whole row of click-once buttons? Sometime aesthetics have to come into play alongside the ergonomics.

If you have Add to Queue also as a click-once option then there will surely people who like to Add Next crying out and vice versa.

(edit… Exactly as Jeff points out above!)

Really then, the only other solution is to have an option in settings to select which of all the various Queue or Play Now options should be the priority option and take the prime slot as a “big button” :slight_smile:

1 Like

You don’t understand the problem. Please read the beginning of this thread.
Problem is not how the menu is designed. The problem is that the new “Play now” button destroys your current queue if you hit it. The old UI protected you from such accidents. And that was one of the things that made Roon superior from other players. Protection from accidently queue destruction by simple clicking the wrong button.

3 Likes

Why not implement a series of “Are you sure you want to play this album not queue it?” "Are you really sure you want to play this album not queue it? “Are you really really sure you want to play this album not queue it?”

:joy:

I have a few special users of my workflow systems that need this many prompts as they mouse click at will.

1 Like

I mostly agree with all of the recent comments. Once you really get into it, with adding vs replacing, playing now vs queuing, adding next vs adding to the bottom (and more!), there are a large number of desirable operations.

JRiver (as is their style) offers every. single. one. and lets you pick a single default. Everything else is in a menu, or even a sub-menu (!). The Roon team prefers a simpler, more aesthetically pleasing design. That’s fine, but there is such a thing as too much simplicity.

What I’m hoping for is to be able to choose my default action (the large, top level button). I think that’s the simplest answer that provides the most flexibility. And given the (deceptive) complexity of the all of the choices, I don’t see how not having that option will be effective.

2 Likes

Love one click play. When I hit play on a song or album I want it to do this not give me a choice everytime.

2 Likes

With tounge-in-cheek;

1. This is not a problem, it is a solution! :wink:
  2. No it didn’t, the queue was just as volatile then. But i agree the pawmasher made it practically impossible to press the wrong button. (I still disliked it very much)

Now i’ll get me coat!

2 Likes

I like the new workflow since it doesn’t switch to a new screen. However, I usually use Add To Queue and would prefer that as a the default option for my setup.

What if the controls were updated as follows:

The green column has a grabber control for reordering items in the list. If I wanted to move Start Radio up the list, I would press and hold the control and drag it up.

The red column is a checkbox control indicating what the default option should be changed to. If I wanted to make Add To Queue the default option, I would just check the box and this would be the result:

This design should work for both touchscreens and mice.

9/5/17 Edit: I’ve been playing a little bit more with this and it seems that the Default 1-Click Play Album button is equivalent to the Play Now button in the drop down list. If that is the case, the red column with the make default buttons could be removed and whatever is set to the top of the list via the grabber controls could then be designated as the Default 1-Click button.

4 Likes

I prefer to have Add To Queue the default click-once action 100% of the time. For the infrequent times I want to do something else, I can choose that from the drop-down list.

Also, as I think about it more the checkbox doesn’t really make sense here, it should just be Set Default One-Click Action button.

This was a suggestion to hopefully solve my problem with the workflow as well as the majority of people wanting a change. Unfortunately, that may not be the case.

2 Likes

The check could let you combine actions, like play album and add to queue, or play now and add to queue (which would add the selection to the top of the queue but preserve the rest of the queue), or play album, play now, add to queue, etc.