Build 69 upgrade errors: wrong import date; stuck in rescanning

hello,

after upgrading to the latest build (69), i have 2 significant errors:

1. album import time messed up:
    now (after roonupgrade) , about 30 percent of my albums are set to new. they have the import time of the upgrade. and i did not import (or changed) them myself.
    so the album sort (using the ‘date added’ sort) is totally wrong now …

2. adding music stuck
    now, i also have the spinning wheel in roon, which indicates, that music is added to the library.
    it says, “of 28 tracks, 28 added, 0 identified”.
    roon is stuck with this for many hours now …

thanks

Hi @MySound,

We can get some logs and look into this for you – I suspect we’ll be able to resolve the 2nd issue, but the 1st one will be more tricky, since it’s likely to be the result of an older bug which is now fixed in Build 69.

Going forward, Roon’s file tracking should prevent files from mistakenly being considered “new”, but some limitations in our previous implementation likely caused some files in Roon to appear more than once in your database – this bug has been resolved, but in rare cases the improved tracking of your files can supersede the earlier instances, resulting in new import dates.

We’re very confident that this type of issue should now be a thing of the past, but apologies for the trouble here. As a work around, I’ll mention that import dates are fully editable – by selecting the tracks in question, you should be able to set them back to the files’ modification or creation dates on disk, or to any arbitrary dates you choose.

I’ll be in touch via PM and we can look into the importing issue. Stand by!

hi mike,

thanks for the answer!

just to be sure:

so there is no way of somehow fixing this import issue and being able to use the original (before the build 69 upgrade) import date?

i specially ask this, because after using your fix (editing the import date), there could be no chance of ever going back to the original import date.
for example when setting the import date to the file modification date, these files are not detectable anymore (i suspect).

regards

Editing the import date in Roon is non-destructive – the Roon import date is stored in the database, and a track’s import date can always be reset later. I just took an album I added yesterday and did the following:

• Went to album, selected all songs
  • Clicked Edit in the top right then selected the Edit Tracks tab
  • Set all tracks to be imported in 2010
  • Save

The album now says it was imported in 2010. Then:

• Went to album, selected all songs
  • Clicked Edit in the top right then selected the Metdata Preference tab
  • Set all tracks Import Date to “Prefer Roon Import Time
  • Save

Now, all tracks are back to their original Roon import date! Let me know if that’s clear.

hi again,

so it looks like the import date is internally not changed, even when there is a manual change of it on the track level.
seems a little hard to follow …

anyway i tried your approach, but could not go trough with it:

first i tried your exact steps. this works fine. good!

then i tried to fix this for me. since this affects about 30 percent of all my albums, i had to do the following:
1)select tracks view
2)focus with the affected (wrong) import date. therefore then all the right tracks showed up.
3)now when i select all tracks (ctrl a), the ,edit tracks, tab in the track editor is gone! so i can not change the date.
when i only select a small number of tracks of them, the ‘edit tracks’ tab is there.

do some tracks prevent the track editing in certain cases, or is this a bug?

thanks

Hi Mysound,
Just setting a notification for @mike so he sees your reply.

You can read more about our our editing model here – you may want to read the whole thing if you have some time, but the relevant section is entitled “3-Layer Editing Model”.

There are some editing functions we don’t support over a certain number of selected tracks – for example, there’s no way to set thousands of tracks to be “live” at once. That tab is only available for editing up to 1000 tracks at once.

As discussed, in this case it’s unfortunate that the original import dates were tracked in a way that was susceptible to storage device changes. In certain cases, this long standing bug could cause content to be re-imported.

The good news is that this issue has been resolved, and in the vast majority of situations, the fix should make this kind “re-importing” impossible, so apologies again for the trouble.

i think the handling of this import date is not very intuitive …

why is it no possible to skip this limit? with this limit, track editing on the track level is very restricted. and in my case, its unusable, i think …

so it still looks to me, that i can not change this import date, since this track editing over many tracks does not work.
i have about 10000 tracks to change…
what should i do to fix this?

thanks

thanks, andybob!