Build 952 Feedback

Generally speaking, most of the showstopper issues (in this case build 952) are from some simple bugs, changed by someone who is new to the software, I guess.

If I were Roon dev, I would back track to at least 3 earlier releases, where some serious issues started to show up, and work from there.

So much for that. IPad just locked up.

I thought you fell back to your backup plan? I’ve given up, failed over to my backup solution (Linn Kazoo+Qobuz).

1 Like

What are your thoughts about JRiver? It’s my understanding that the package is somewhat dated and not as feature-rich as Roon, but I view limited “features” as a good thing; I just want to listen to music.
I’ve also been looking at Daphile.

Yep. I’ve been a Roon customer for years, but I have turned off auto-renew.

I did yesterday, but thought I would try today without the Dell involved. Back to Apple Music for me. I’m sure this will be resolved soon. :disguised_face:

JRiver is a great program. I’ve used it to replace Itunes for the last 15 years. And it’s a very stable program. The JRemote app is fantastic too for listening to your home library outside of your home network. I do all my file metadata changes with JRiver. Then import into Roon. Couldn’t recommend JRiver any higher. Thankfully, it just works. Unlike the latest Roon update which has made my core disconnect frequently and randomly restart… :frowning_face:

Not in the same league as Roon. No comprehensive discovery tools or streaming services to mention only two inadequacies.

I’m no Roon fan boy. Roon better get its act together as far as the Builds go. Once word gets out about how irresponsible some of the Builds are, that’s a hit.

Roon’s got a lot of warts, but it’s still the best out there.

No one is forcing people to subscribe.

2 Likes

Or upgrade before determining if the latest build is problematic :innocent:.

1 Like

I do not agree with this statement! The majority of Roon subscribers are just music lovers, non-IT experts, and they put their total trust in Roon, believing that Roon new releases are always better than the previous ones.

How can one explain that the last 3, or 4 releases are problematic?

3 Likes

I’m not an IT expert, but I never upgrade OS on any of my devices on release day (except my Android phone which is always spot on). Too many issues caused by new releases. Better to wait and see what the community is feeding back before moving on it.

If you talk about Windows then I can understand, their coverage is much much much more complex. Here we just talk about an app managing a music playback system.

I understand the pressure and sympathize with the Roon dev/qa, but I am tired of pseudo excuses.

1 Like

Roon is much more than that, and that is part, probably most, of the problem.

OTOH, if a corporate business system had similar problems with its IT division, heads would roll. Still, no corporation is forced to be on the bleeding edge as Roon subscribers seemingly are.

2 Likes

Apple has rolled out some horrendously bad updates that have affected millions of users worldwide. I assume heads rolled, but that’s not much consolation for the people whose phones were bricked etc.

Thank you. I want “it just works”.
I have a smallish 10k track FLAC library and a few internet radio stations I listen to; that’s it.
I’ve been a Roon user for 4 years or so; when I first subscribed, Roon was a sweet, drama-free way to enjoy music, but it’s looking like it might be time for a change.

YES YES :slight_smile:

1 Like

unsubscribed a few weeks ago and won’t be signing bck up,it’s been a constant headache for me since 1.8 was released,before that it was great 99%of the time but now it’s constantly broken

1 Like

Please see the reply by @Spence_Marquart. My answer about JRiver is the same.
I am with Roon since the beginning in 2015 and there have been problematic releases from time to time.
Problems right now, allow me to test my fallback setup. JRiver and HDConnect are completely stable and get my rec as a setup when needed.
I will not switch, because Roon is light years ahead. I look forward to a stable release which should be out soon.

I experienced the same problem, memory usage was 100% so Roon was not managing memory at all nor playing selected items.
A core restart sorted things, but it took a while to figure what was happening, 12 hours after the edits were completed.

Just noticed that Roon Server (b952 on ROCK NUC 7i7 16GB RAM) restarted itself a few days ago. I think this was the same day I ripped and added some new music to the watched folder. ROCK and Roon Server have otherwise been perfectly stable and trouble free since March 2021 when I started with a new database.
Today I had a freezing issue with the Mac (11.6.6 Big Sur) client. After changing album and starting to play something else, the play waveform and track froze at the previous track and was unresponsive whilst the new track was playing. So I closed the app. This caused the music to stop.