Building the perfect music experience with/around Roon

Not to disagree with any of the above advice. But:

A NUC is great, I ran one for years… but unless you enjoy tinkering, a Nucleus is even greater.

Wired networking is great, a new house is an enviable opportunity… but I eventually found that an Eero WiFi mesh is fantastic, gigabit and reliable and complete coverage (there are others too). I mention this because…

Even with a dedicated music room, I have found it very nice to be able to listen in other places, other rooms and the deck and the backyard. I use headphones and an iPad, either with a dongle style DAC or a Chord Hugo 2. And it works great on the WiFi network. The advice to go wired is not wrong, but perhaps overly conservative, based on vintage technology (year-old :grinning:). Note that I’m not talking about a compromised “mobile” system: the WiFi-based, iPad/Hugo 2/Audeze LCD-4z is arguably my best system, on par with my very costly big rig. So in summary, good WiFi is fine, and being mobile around the house is nice.

And finally, simplicity is key. I have ranted about this for years in these pages. I hate the term “computer audio” because computers are far too complicated. Our goal should be “consumer electronics simplicity”. So a Nucleus with a built-in SSD removes a lot of complexity. This post describes my recent evolution toward simplification, where I removed a lot of extreme tweaking, and improved the sound at the same time.

1 Like