Buying New Laptop for Roon Core - Best CPU Option

I don’t understand Windows SMB v1 if the NUC is running Linux all downloaded from Roon site.

My Windows 7 laptop ran Roon fine until a couple of months ago when a Roon software update caused the display to mess up. I opened a problem with Roon & I thought the support team suggested I make the laptop become a Roon remote, inferring it would work OK. Maybe I misunderstood.

If your laptop doesn’t support openGL 3.0, then you need a new Roon Remote.

Maybe you can still run Roon Core on the laptop. But the user-interface requires openGL 3.0.

Because transferring your data to internal/external drives and installing the FFMPEG Codec require you to use SMB V1 to transfer

Hey Rick, I’m interested in your use of the Exasound E28 with the NUC (?) and how that works out. I have considered the E38 MK II for an addition to my system. But with the current world situation that will be on hold for a long while. A little off topic but thought I would ask since you mentioned using the E28.

As I understand it, the Exasound dacs are Roon tested and would be Roon Ready with the addition of the Exasound Stigma Streamer. Not familiar with W4S Dac2, hopefully you will get some feedback on that.

I have considered the E38 as a single unit to replace the current multiple zone entertainment system setup, NUC-HDMI for multi-channel, plus Ethernet and NUC-USB to OPPO 205 DAC. The E38 MKII has the same DAC as the OPPO but I’m hoping the E38 interface with Roon will play the hi-res DSD, PCM and Multi-channel files without the multiple zone configuration.

Again, good luck with your server choice. Hope it all works out for you.

Hi Mike - will definitely let you know after I get everything set up.

I use Roon in two homes (in different countries, so never simultaneously). I’m using reconditioned laptops I purchased cheaply in both. They are i5s with 8 gigs of ram and small SSD drives. Both have portable HDs attached for music files, and Tidal and Qobuz are used for streaming services. They work very well. One concern about buying a reconditioned laptop is the state of the battery, but since these are always plugged in it’s not a concern. If you don’t want to break the bank, this might be the way to go.

Hi, Exactly, I have got the same experience with Roon Core on my Work Notebook (Dell XPS i7 16 GB RAM) . Now I am running Roon Core on dedicated Dell server Win10, i3, 16GB RÁM, 256 GB SSD) and it is a pretty stabile solution Juraj

1 Like

A tip I have when running Roon core from a computer is not to have the Roon window open while playing. You will get a slightly better audio quality since the computer will not have to animate anything in the Roon app window during playback. This is one of the reasons why a server sounds best, there is no GUI. But benefits can still be achieved while on a computer.

Roon core can be running on the computer, with the window close and you can use Roon Remote to control it or if playing on the same computer, start an album, then close the window.

from: https://kb.roonlabs.com/Sound_Quality_in_One_Computer

This is just superstition, like a lot of things in this forum, unless you’re running on a 1980 IBM XT.

Even a lowly i3 NUC can do several things at once.

4 Likes

Not according to Roon (link above). The computer being capable of doing a lot of things at once is the issue. Those processes could affect sound quality and limiting those processes will improve on that.

Sorry, that’s so much bullsh-t, and if Roon implies that backround processes have any appreciable effect on SQ they are just catering to the unwashed.

1 Like

You can certainly choose not to believe them but I trust the Roon engineers who have designed and tested and know about these things. It’s not like there isn’t evidence of it being true. In fact, other audio apps like Audirvana state the same thing and some even have features built in to limit animations and other processes during playback. So no, it’s not ■■.

1 Like

The key word is appreciable.

Those are just fussy little tweaks that matter only to anal retentives

Checking out of this pointless conversation. Have a good life…

2 Likes

You probably understand this better than I do, but unless this is a limitation of the Linux/Rock system suggested for the NUC, I don’t see where this requirement comes from.

I run my Roon Core on a Lenovo M93P (essentially a NUC) running Windows 10 version 1909 and mostly control it from a desktop also running Windows 10 version 1909. SMB 1.0 is completely turned off in Windows Features on both systems.

I haven’t had any problems viewing or moving files between those systems using Windows File Explorer or with using Roon on them. I’m afraid I’ve never used that CODEC nor do I know anything about it. Is the ROCK or the CODEC the real issue, not file transfer in general?

SMB V1 is required for ROCK installs and transfer of music to the ROCK systems storage options. Widows Core installs do not have this issue

First thing when youre going to use laptop with your roon core is check with latencymon that everything is ok without upsampling or anything. If youre getting over 200us something is wrong.c

I do not think windows core is what the user would choose to install.

At best, you have completely misunderstood the advice of Roon engineers.

And I very much mean “at best.”

To inject epsilon of data into this fact-free discussion, here is CPU usage on my Roon core machine (a lowly Odroid H2) while streaming 24/192 from Qobuz. Peak CPU usage occurs when Roon core downloads and buffers each track. The rest of the time, total CPU usage is ~4% of capacity, with 3 of the 4 cores almost completely idle.

Background processes have zero effect on the performance of Roon core.

Don’t shoot the messenger. I’m going by what Roon themselves recommend at the above link.

Fire up Roon as a remote, queue up some music, then exit the remote . Roon will continue to play your music sans remote, and without letting our rich UI affect your listening experience.

I don’t do this myself, I just run Roon all-in-one on my Mac and it sound great, I’m just saying Roon apparently says there are ways to get better quality but admittedly, they could just want to sell more Nucleus servers…

I also don’t think just looking at the CPU load tells the whole story. You need to also look at the GPU.

AFAIK, Roon’s music signal path does not involve the GPU at all.