By-track, by-album or output device DSP settings

I just want to get my view on here for the record. For me this feature suggestion is far from,

I think track-by-track DSP (other than perhaps a level correction) sounds more like a gimmick than a useful improvement for the way I use Roon. My own preference is for fidelity to the source, with whatever global tweaks suit my overall needs. I have set up convolution for room correction in my main listening room. If I were to vote for an additional DSP feature, it would be Zone-convolution. I believe, based on data I find in my gut, this would be more generally useful than would the feature you suggest – a feature for the “at-home DIY would-be remastering engineer” set.

That’s my two-cents. Of course, YMMV.

1 Like

I would definitely like to associate a saved DSP setting with low resolution material or particular Live Radio stations. One of my favourite radio stations is broadcast in low quality and has a touch of sibilance that I like to tame. But turning it on and off is a pain.

4 Likes

Hundreds of Post On this Topik and still no Statement from the Roon Team…
Just for Information, in JRiver it is working perfect, track by track DSP settings, as well as settings for Album….
Greetz
UweS

2 Likes

No statement is the statement: NO

Bumping this cuz… WHY NOT?

Please go to the top of this post and VOTE if you want this.

1 Like

Right, there is potential: 22 posting users and only 15 voters. So everybody, please vote …

1 Like

I would find it useful to allow individual Filter settings to be stored song based, or at least album based.

Are there any efforts in this direction or would this function be interesting for others?

I personally listen to a lot of different music, and especially music from the 70s and 80s. Back then, sound engineers seem to have either different listening habits or the monitor systems were just bad or bass heavy. So a lot of these recordings sound thin. So you don’t have to listen to every music with a preset filter set, a button to save on song/album level would be great.

Maybe something like this could be realized?

Vote above please.

I did not mean correction of room acoustics nor correction of loudspeakers, I meant correction of WRONG mixed music material due to BAD acoustics or MONITORING during record sessions and master mix. In former days there was at least a bass and a treble control at amplifiers. Someone began teaching us that it sounds better without. Today there are extremely expensive speakers and units in the market to correct inherent faults - no discussion any more that it sounds poor. Music is for enjoyment and meditation and does not have to be heard according to any rules that someone sets up. Everyone hears and feels differently. Let’s not restrict this freedom too!

1 Like

That is what this thread is about: correcting or tweaking the recording itself, not room acoustics. The example I gave above was the 80s tendency to remove bass from the masters - probably because bassy recordings would not sound well on walkmans.

2 Likes

I should reiterate what I said somewhere above: This feature is not necessarily trivial to implement as the DSP implementation seems to be tied to an endpoint - ie post endpoint-routing - vs what we are asking here which applies to all endpoints - ie needs to be applied pre endpoint-routing. Depending on how Roon is coded, this could be relatively easy or complex.

BUMP IT BABY! Really, why is this not a thing?

I have mad respect for your passion & commitment.

1 Like

This is a must have feature. There are many different reasons to apply EQ: Room correction, which is tied to an endpoint, is one. Using the same EQ for house curve or speaker correction, again, needs to be tied to an endpoint.

But a prefernce EQ for an album, this makes perfect sense . We all have loads of 80s tracks with barely any bass.

So Roon should apply EQ first for a track, for all zones, and again just for a particular zone.

1 Like

Can’t get over how cool this pic is.

4 Likes

And Volume per track is vital. If you have a HiFi that starts to sound like the real thing, to be convincing it’s important that it be the correct volume.

1 Like

BUMP! I def want this!

BUMP, me too

Miguel I voted :slight_smile: Such a solution would give the creators of Roon an additional strong argument to use their application. It can also be an important step in PC AUDIO’s advantage over traditional CD.

2 Likes