Bypassing RAAT?

You found the double-edged sword of a revealing system. It reproduces the good, and very good with the bad and very bad (recordings).

Many believe itā€™s the lower latency of the driver, ALSA and the OS. https://www.audio-linux.com is one example of spending effort to reduce it even further and at modest expense.

Piero is very responsive to questions and help with specific hardware configs to further tune. If you have ever used vi or other Linux editor, itā€™s trivial to try different settings and compare. Thereā€™s a utility, sensors, to keep an eye on all the various temps including the proc.

Loading it all in RAM is the next evolution. Cheap and easy and no downsides.

1 Like

This was exact the same, I found out when I swapped from Mcbook pro, 2014 to Nucleus by Roon

Iā€™m happy to report back that the latest firmware updates from my DAC manufacturer to my network rendering module improved the sound. Iā€™m much happier now with the performance than when I previously posted.

Great! So no difference between RAAT and whatever alternative streaming protocol when using your DACā€™s streaming module / bridge?

I canā€™t tell a difference as much or at all compared to before, which was using any UPnP app (like mConnect) - UPnP sounded cleaner, crisper and more holographic and I could tell something was slightly ā€œmissing.ā€ Itā€™s not as apparent now, if itā€™s even there at all.

@Pavel_Tesar What AC filter and power cables are you using and what did you connect on it (I guess the roon rock) ? Thanks !

My core is on MacMini i7. Power strip and filter is PS Audio Dectet. Power cables are mixed bag, some from local audiophile DIY, some VanDenHull MainStreamServer.

1 Like