Cambridge Audio 851N only recognized as an airplay zone

Hi
My Cambridge Audio is connected to my Mac Mini via usb.I have set the sound output on the pc to usb.
I have tested the sound output by playing music on the pc (not through Roon)which is then sent to the Cambridge via usd.This works.
However,when I play music through Roon,the Cambridge Audio is only recognized as an AirPlay device and not as a usb device.
Please help.

Are there any other connections into the 851? Is it connected via WiFi?

Connections are WiFi and Ethernet.

Under settings, audio, have you enabled the device under connected to my core or only as an airplay device?

The Cambridge does not show up as a usb device.Only as a Airplay device.

I have the CXN , same streamer unit

Have you tried setting it to USB type 2, it’s in the settings menu

There is a special CA driver for Windows but not for Mac I think

Switch between USB type 1 AND 2 See if either setting

As a network device it is Airplay at best

I know there were some funnies getting type 2 to work with Linux maybe mac

As a network device it will be seen as Airplay for sure

PS there is a CA support article

I wonder if the 851 is identified by Roon as it’s network configuration ie Airplay

I’ve tried both.As I mentioned I can play usb 1 and 2 to the CA 851N using a Mac media player.It’s Roon that is not seeing the CA as a usb device.Roon sees the CA as a Airplay device only.

Just to be clear, you are running your RoonServer on the Mac Mini and the Cambridge is connected to this mac mini via USB.

Correct.CA connected to Mac via USB.

Hello @Patrick_Weiss,

When you go to the Settings > Audio screen, are you able to see the “System Output” zone on your Mac?

If the System Output zone is not listed, try disabling the firewall on your Mac.

-John

This is what I see in Roon.

[quote=“Patrick_Weiss, post:1, topic:82281, full:true”]

Hi
My Cambridge Audio is connected to my Mac Mini via usb.I have set the sound output on the pc to usb.
I have tested the sound output by playing music on the pc (not through Roon)which is then sent to the Cambridge via usd.This works.
However,when I play music through Roon,the Cambridge Audio is only recognized as an AirPlay device and not as a usb device.
Please help.
[/quote]

Thank you for your responses.
Still having no luck seeing the Cambridge Audio other than as an AirPlay device.
I’ll stick to the Devialet for now.

I was messing with settings today on my CA 851n. Discovered that it is now Roon-Ready (although “uncertified”). No more airplay or other devices such as Allo needed. Whether certified or not, it sounds great, and makes my set-up infinitely more simple.

I thought that Cambridge had completely forgotten us.

There are several posts, it happened about 4 weeks back, CXN V2, and 851N both became Roon Ready

CXN v1 alas has quote technical issues :disappointed_relieved:

Did you look into the UPnP bridge options I told you about?

I did but I couldn’t get it to work properly, it gave me 4 versions of the CXN , I must try again as we all have so much time on our hands !!. Not that I have noticed any difference, I got used to self isolation after retirement :heart_eyes:

1 Like