Cambridge Audio CXN V2--Cannot control volume from Roon

CXN V2 into CXA61. Roon says that “volume control” is fixed when I try to control group volume no matter what the device setting is. Updated firmware. Don’t see anything in StreamMagic that helps. Thanks.

You cannot use it to control the volume on the amp via control bus as it’s set as fixed volume output and Roon has no knowledge of control bus.

If you stick the CXNv2 in preamp mode then Roon can adjust its output but then you’re juggling that with the CX61 volume control as it isn’t a PowerAmp nor has preamp ins. Whilst in preamp mode it won’t control the volume of the amp via control bus it’s just it’s own volume.

Thank you. I think. :woozy_face: I need to reread that a couple of times to make sense of it.

I did put the CXN in preamp mode and that was really unsatisfying so I get that.

Ive got a new power amp (not CA) on the way, so I’m sure I’ll be back with more dumb questions later.

If you have the CXN connected to the CX61 using the RCA control bus connection then the CXN volume control or Streamagic app can adjust the volume of the CX61. This however doesn’t work for Roon as . In this mode the CXN is set as fixed volume to output full line level or balanced to an amp where any attenuation is handled by the amp. Roon will only see the CXN as fixed volume so that’s how it will work in Roon changing Roons settings won’t make any difference.

Switching the CXN to preamp mode enables Roon to then use device volume. This mode disables control bus so it no longer can adjust the amps volume. In this mode Roon is only controlling the output level of the CXN. So you have essentially now two preamps as your CXN is a preamp for its digital side that’s feeding into the analogue preamp of your CX61. This mode is meant to feed a PowerAmp not an integrated amp. So you have two volume controls to contend with and can easily go way too loud and damage your speakers or hearing if not too careful and it’s likely to not sound as good due to two levels of attenuation.You only want one preamp in any one setup.

3 Likes

Thanks. That makes sense.