Can a local server stream FLAC to Roon?

Nice work, thank you
I just want to make sure I understand: if I have any player with the output to alsa device 1, the output will be sent to icecast and can be played through Roon?
Is there an equivalent solution for Windows? Can it be used to, for example, stream from JRiver or IDAGIO to Roon?

You should be able to capture ALSA output too but think the syntax in liquidsoap is different.
AFAIK, there are multiple options that can do this in Windows, including liquidsoap.
Those would work with JRiver, etc. too. However, why not just install Roon instead?

Thank you, I have Roon core running on Windows, what I wanted to do is to be able to stream external player like IDAGIO, that for some reason does not support any other output but system output, to Roon Ready devices - Bryston BDP-2 in particular. I though I could use it as a source to liquidsoap but did not find the way to do it.

Hi @qdtjni
did you have a chance to try this with the Pisound HAT? ADC seems to work at 24bit and 48, 96 and 192kHz. Darkice and icecast is mentioned to work ā€˜out of the boxā€™. Itā€™s cheap too so would match a pi nicely. Single ended line level inputs means that one needs line level sources, but many have asked for thatā€¦

Was I supposed to? :slight_smile:

No, of course not! I just wondered if youā€™d happened to try it :slight_smile:

I thought I was going senile :smiley:
Looks interesting, hopefully I can try it during the xmas holiday.

It does not seem to be too difficult to set up.

I guess the question will be if lossless 24bit works? And 96 or 192kHz?

this is actually really coolā€¦ maybe this should be integrated into RoPieee so it becomes very easy to setupā€¦

7 Likes

The Roon bit is the easy bit!

I meant RoPieee of course. Typo :slight_smile:

1 Like

@spockfish, that would be terrific! And then, when the ā€œinput deviceā€ is introduced in Roon, RoPieee could be one of the first to deliver it! I already have a Pi in a drawer. Maybe this is what Iā€™ll be using it forā€¦

1 Like

This device wouldnā€™t have any Roon software on it, would it? Dedicated to streaming internet radio, right? So perhaps StPieee.

Pisound has a DAC too so I think RoPieee will be fine for both.

1 Like

Iā€™ve got access to both a pisound and a USB ADC.
Ideally this should be ā€˜auto detectā€™: if you have such a device it will create a stream based on the input.

2 Likes

Hi @spockfish, did you find the time to experiment with the pisound?
Iā€™m just curious. :slightly_smiling_face:

While waiting for Roon to implement the ā€˜Input Deviceā€™ feature (please, please, Roon, prioritise this feature or provide some indication of if or when it will be implemented? :frowning:), I have been looking for a workaround using my ROCK setup. I want to be able to stream from my (digital) decks all around the house, so quality is very important, but, dare I say it, latency is more important. Itā€™s also useful to be able to stream from other sources such as Spotify or Vinyl, Any delay makes mixing almost impossible. A small delay to other rooms, if I split the signal between the main output and Roon is potentially workable, though less than ideal.

Having done a lot of research, I managed to get this working on my Mac using a combination of Audio Hijack and Darkice, to create the Internet stream. A few people on the forums have come up with similar solutions. Itā€™s quite easy to setup and it works, however, there are a few serious issues with this setup:

• Very poor latency, several seconds delay. A deal breaker for my decks.
  • Best quality is 320kbps MP3.
  • Need to use my Mac, which is not near my decks and is another single point of failure.
  • It is very clunky, it would be so much easier if this was implemented in Roon as an input source, rather than an Internet Radio station.

I have found a device which may address some or all of the above, called the Barix Instreamer ICE, which is basically an Internet Radio in a box solution. I have not bought or tested this yet, but thought it would be of interest here. It is also relatively good value at around $450, if it works.

Did I mention :grinning: that as soon as Roon introduces the ā€˜Input Deviceā€™ feature, this will be so much easier and cheaper to do, so reluctant to go down this route unless I really have to as I would hope it will be redundant soon!

1 Like

Not seen this before, so donā€™t know what the actual guts of it is. But you could do something very similar with an RPi for a lot less money if youā€™re Linux-inclined. And itā€™s still generating mp3/aac, which you listed as a negative with your Mac-based solution. (However, I donā€™t know if shoutcast actually supports a non-lossy encoding.)

What would the ā€œinput deviceā€ in Roon input from in your particular case? And I donā€™t know that your latency goals are achievable. Sonos has a bunch of latency on its analog inputs as well, even when you tell it to use uncompressed streaming.

Yes, quality is still an issue. Not sure either if Icecast can output at a higher resolution, but 320 MP3 is acceptable when I am using the decks vs. usual Tidal streaming.

I am Linux proficient so could certainly build my own solution on RPi, and will probably have to (when I have the time). I just thought this looked like a very neat out of the box solution. Apart from much more expensive Audio over IP appliances for professional applications, there doesnā€™t appear to be anything else quite like this available.

A small amount of latency would be acceptable, except for the main output, which would likely require a hybrid solution (direct output, plus separate Roon connection). That is better than no solution at all. Also, when I am playing from my iPad for example, so no mixing required, a small delay is fine.

Maybe I have misunderstood the purpose of a native Roon ā€˜Input Deviceā€™? Put simply, for me, it is the ability to reroute a low latency analog or digital input as a source through Roon Core, to any Roon endpoint, at the highest resolution possible. The input could be the machine running Roon Core, or any endpoint that supports audio inputs, such as Sonos or Bluesound.

1 Like