Can a local server stream FLAC to Roon?

This is how I’ve understood it based on the comments Brian and Danny (both from Roon) have made here on the forum. When it comes to latency I’m not so sure. I believe Roon to a certain extent uses buffering to obtain a stable stream. Buffering and latency are not the best of friends…

I have a couple of Bluesound devices (which are Roon-ready). What would be the advantages of the above streaming method compared to just patching a turntable (/ CD player, etc.) into a Node?

Plugging it into the node means it will only work with other bluesound devices and not Roon. It might have less delay. The method in this thread is to get it streaming via roon. I have it working now at 96/24 using ffmpeg instead of using liquidsoap.

Well that was short lived ffmeg can keep the buffer filed as it’s too slow and encoding the stream. Back to liquidsoap which works but limited to 96/16

Just noting HQ Player 4 has an input device that can receive digital streams from other apps, including Spotify and analog sources through an ADC. So if you are already using HQ Player as the backend, you can just change the input to it.

Awsome work @qdtjni !
Do you think it would work with dietpi on PI3?
I found a cheap ART USB Phono Plus and will give it a try.

It works but is a nightware to switch input, requires to login the HQPlayer machine, no remote control… explain that to my wife :slight_smile:

I am using Icecast2 and BUTT as the source client, which supports 16/96 as well. Through use of Audiolense filters, you can apply RIAA curve digitally. There’s a 5-6 second delay between the needle drop and sound coming out through Roon.

I’m on the lookout for a FLAC source client that will support up to 24/192 output. Haven’t found it yet. JCR

2 Likes

I also had to install liquidsoap-plugin-icecast.

For the less experienced users: there is a typo host=‘mydell.local’ and not 'mydell.loca’l of course.

Cheers :slight_smile:

Not sure about dietpi but should be quick and easy to test, right?

For me it was automatically installed through one of the other package dependencies, I can’t remember which one.

pi@icecast:~ $ apt list --installed  liquidsoap-plugin-icecast liquidsoap-plugin-flac
Listing... Done
liquidsoap-plugin-flac/oldstable,now 1.1.1-7.1+b1 armhf [installed]
liquidsoap-plugin-icecast/oldstable,now 1.1.1-7.1+b1 armhf [installed,automatic]

And for clarity, as my post was in the middle of the Liquidsoap discussion (my apologies), my installation above at 16/96 is all on Windows (in my case, Windows Server 2019). JCR

Yep, I managed to install both liquidsoap (Allo Sparky) and icecast2 (RPI3) both running DietPi.
It’s not working yet, I am losing the mounting point in Icecast after a minute or two. Will investigate more later, maybe a power instability issue as I am powering my USB Phono Plus ADC via the Sparky’s USB Port and that could be too much. Or maybe the Sparky is not powerful enough to generate the FLAC stream?
More tries and errors later :slight_smile:
When it will work, it will be really cool to simply switch to “My Phono” radio station. And the turntable can be anywhere in the room as the SParky is connected through wifi!

There isn’t really a good one unless you can build liquidsoap 1.4.1 and make it work using its ffmpeg encoder. I have tried and failed and given up. Liquidsoap is a nightmare if not prebuilt for your distro and most prebuilt are not the one with ffmpeg so stuck with 16bit. All other source encoders tend to only do 16bit. Saying that had some success with some experiments with using foobar and it’s icecast plugin and recorder. But as I have no ADC that will work on windows I didn’t get further than grabbing sound card output. Also I don’t really want to rely on windows.

@Simon_Arnold3, thanks. Wondering if MPD as a source client for Icecast would work, as it can output even into DSD territory. Any thoughts on that? JCR

Not sure it might work but you cant use mpd.on it’s own nor do I know if it can capture a live digital input from an ADC.

Super cool. I’m impressed.

Any news on a Roon input option? It would be great to have the opportunity to stream vinyl with convolution enabled.

3 Likes

Big +1. <3

I’ve been ‘hassling’ (or maybe not…) @danny and @brian for this one many times, but so far there is only silence in return :slight_smile:
I’m still hoping that “the input device” will turn up!

1 Like

I used ICEcast with a PC running win7. This Dell pc has OEM analog Line audio inputs.
Next connect PC line input to a Vintage receiver at the audio tape outputs. Now you can play old Lps via a turntable at the receiver and ICEcast streams to my core. Works very well. Oh you have to configure a Radio Station at core to receive ICEcast streams.