Can I set my iPad to automatically turn itself off at night?

I have an 11" iPad Pro and would like for it to be able to switch itself off at a preset time each evening so that I don’t have to charge it as often. Does anyone know if this is even possible?

I did try searching for an answer to this question here on the forum but didn’t come up with anything.

1 Like

As the link from @Suedkiez notes, iOS devices never really turn off, but setting it to Do Not Disturb may help a little. The only way to conserve battery life is to limit browsing, watching videos, or streaming music (basically those activties that consume bandwidth) .

1 Like

Yes, but the link provided by @Suedkiez is about 4 years old and iPads, much like iPhones are constantly being “improved”, so I thought there might currently be a way to accomplish this.

Unfortunately, iOS devices are designed to be “always on” by their nature. iPads can even become HomeKit hubs, which means they will always be operating even if left alone.

1 Like

I understand what you’re saying but it would be nice to have a choice of whether to leave them running unattended all night.

1 Like

I’m not an expert on this, but I think the new “Focus” capability in the iPad might take you towards your goal. There is a low power mode in the iPhone and iPad that can be launched when at low battery condition (below 20%). Perhaps you could set the Focus behaviours to mimic that but launched when you head for bed.

Here are a couple of links that might get you started:

Seems like you’re not alone on this, good luck and maybe share your experience back here?

1 Like

I appreciate the help. You’ve actually hit on another one of my gripes with the iPad. I switch it into low power mode every time I think to do that but it reverts back to standard mode on its own every few days. I would love for it to remain in low power mode when it is set to that mode.

We’ll Focus might be your answer, as you can program start and stop times for them… you could have a LowDay and a LowNight setting and cover all the hours automatically, or you can manually select and leave on. The Low Power mode is coupled to the battery level and thus not entirely in your control.

1 Like

Thanks, that’s very helpful.

I’ve not played with focus so I don’t know what you can and can’t do with that functionality but another alternative that may or may not let you do more (you can certainly explicitly control low power mode) would be to use iOS shortcuts accessed via the Apple “Shortcuts” app. I have 2 shortcuts set up to extend the battery life on my iPhone when I am away for a charger. The first shortcut is set to trigger at 11pm every day and has two actions, one to enable airplane mode and the other to enable low power mode which as far as I am aware is the best that can be done to minimise power consumption overnight. The second shortcut triggers at 8:30am and switches off airplane and low power mode. I set these up before Apple released the focus functionality so maybe you can do exactly the same thing with fewer setup steps by using the focus functionality but if not then shortcuts can definitely do it.

By the way, I used the term “shortcuts” above but technically since mine are time-triggered Apple calls them “automations” but they are still set up via the Apple “Shortcuts” app you just need to go to the automation section in the app to create the automations I described above (or whatever you want to implement).

1 Like

Thank you Julian, I’ll certainly look into Shortcuts as a workaround.

I didn’t have any luck accomplishing my goal with Focus, so maybe this will work for me.