Can I use Evernote to Back Up My Roon Database?

Rather than use an external device, I’d prefer to back up to my computer’s drive and then move the backup to Evernote. I can delete old backups on Evernote and keep just the current backup. I would do this manually perhaps monthly. Anything wrong with this?

Lee,

See what others say; but I’d strongly advise against this.

With macOS, at least, Evernote has acquired something of a ‘shaky’ reputation - so would likely be unreliable as a repository, even if it were the right tool for storing what is usually many gigabytes of data in proprietary format.

Which it is not.

One reason would be that ‘wrapper’ apps like EverNote probably carry out indexing routines on data stored inside them. These could (I don’t know: but I’d hate to take the chance) compromise the integrity of a Roon database stored therein.

If metadata pertaining to the Roon database were ever thus rendered inconsistent with what Roon expected, it’d be likely that you could not then use that backup in the event of a failure - even perhaps a minor blip - with Roon itself.

What’s more, best practice dictates (not too strong a word) that Roon be backed up regularly. Its database is all it has (and so all we have) to manage our music libraries.

Far better, I’d have said, to keep Roon database backups separate and discrete.

By all means back up (also: where is your music library?) to your computer’s boot drive in the first place.

But then make sure you - separately and independently, and often - copy or clone that Roon database backup folder to - say - one (or several!) reliable-make (thumb - depending on the resulting size of the Roon database backup) drives.

1 Like

Bad idea. Your last and single backup could be defective or your latest, backed up database could be corrupted, etc.

I do nightly automated backup’s to an attached USB HDD.

1 Like

Why not try Dropbox, and backup direct to there.

I do, it works.

Dropbox can take a long time. Restoring from Dropbox is questionable.

Also, not sure how large your Dropbox is, but, you should have many backups not just one. I always recommend an aggressive backup schedule. Daily for the past two weeks, Weekly for the past 2 months, and Monthly for the last half year.

4 Likes

Dropbox is my primary cloud storage solution (I have two other backup cloud systems as well).

It’s a 2tb subscription.

How do you have this setup in Roon? It’s a good idea :+1:

Yep, it’s slow :rofl:

Here’s mine…

3 Likes

Cheers @Jim_F :+1::pray:

I see now. I was struggling to get the gist of what was meant. It’s now very clear.

:innocent:

2 Likes

Yes multiple backups to multiple locations is the order of the day.
I think I have three locations, gave up on Dropbox because of how slow it was.

3 Likes

Having observed my Dropbox backup yesterday, I’d rather watch paint dry.

Stick to backups locally on a USB SSD would be my advice moving forward.

3 Likes

FWIW - I use a free Dropbox account as well. Works flawlessly.