Can I use the Nucleus Plus like a pc?

Hy I’m about to get the Nucleus Plus and using roon for the first.
Now now is my biggest gripe that you have to let it on 24/7.
Is there any downside for the wear and tear of the machine if I use it like a PC?
In other words can I just turn it on and off in soft mode when in use.

There is no need to leave a Nucleus switched on 24/7 other than your library is always available. Any background actions like updates , metadata updates will catch up once the unit is active again

I turn my NUC/ROCK off every night in summer I believe there is an off/off button on the Nucleus

In case I misinterpreted the question , despite being a NUC in a “posh box” , the Nucleus is a dedicated device , self updating and cannot be used for anything else , you simply cannot install other apps on it.

1 Like

Yes, you can use the power button… it also supports “Wake On LAN” (WOL, through third party apps) and can be powered off in a browser either from the web administration page or a special url. Like many others, I only run a my core/server when I’m actively using it.

2 Likes

Using the techniques @mikeb outlines I have my Raspberry Pi based home automation system (Home Assistant https://www.home-assistant.io/) turn my ROCK on and off.

After midnight it checks that no zones are playing and then powers off the ROCK using the browser url.

It turns it back on using WOL before 6am. My backups are scheduled to run at 6am.

I also turn on and off my Ropieee Raspberry Pi streamers - which are attached to a remote controlled power switch.

Of course this does require the home automation Pi to be running all the time.

1 Like

You got the question right. I only used the PC for the fact that I put it on only when I use it.

I know the Nucleus is a PC/NUC that does a lot for you on it self.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.