Can QNAP be set to update firmware automatically?

This isn’t specifically a Roon question but it affects my use of Roon. I use a QNAP NAS (TS-253A), with Roon core installed on an SSD drive attached to the NAS via USB. Every few weeks when I try to access Roon I get a message that Roon is “looking for a remote core” and I can’t access any music. (This invariably occurs when we have guests and I want to show off my system!). It seems this happens when there’s a firmware update available for the QNAP. Downloading and installing the new firmware corrects the problem, though it’s a time-consuming process since it requires rebooting the QNAP both before and after the update.

Does anyone know if there is a way to set the QNAP to automatically reboot and install any available firmware updates at a set interval, e.g., once a week in the wee hours of the morning? I think that doing that automatic “preventive maintenance” on the NAS would make sure Roon was ready to go when I want it.

Here’s my complete system info:

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

RoonQNAP, Version 1.6 build 401. QNAP TS-253A with Roon installed on Samsung SSD, USB connected

MacOS 10.13, iOS 12.1

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Xfinity router with Ethernet connection to audio system

Eero mesh WiFi network in the house (~300 Mbps)

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/ect.)

Meridian AC200 and QNAP, Ethernet connection through Pakedge switch (I’m a little vague on the technical details)

Meridian 218’s connecting to Meridian DSP5200.2 and DSP3200 speakers.

As a QNAP owner, I’m not sure you’d want to do that as there are occasional issues with the QNAP upgrades. I think a better approach is to set up Notifications on the QNAP so you get an email or sms when a new upgrade is available. You can then manage when the update happens. (This is what I do)

2 Likes

Thanks, Mike. But I don’t see how that extra step helps. Wouldn’t the “occasional issue” be there whether the upgrade installs automatically or I install it manually? Or maybe I’m missing something.

Mark

I do this and then I check on the forum first to see what they broke this time. QNAP firmware is very flakey at times .

1 Like

It gives you time to check the release notes & forums for any noted issues before committing to the upgrade.

I’d be more interested in the cause, why RoonServer stops on your device, when an update is available.

I never noticed such a behavior with my QNAP TBS-453a.

Typical QNAP user/admin: I never log into QTS unless I have a problem with any of the services provided by my QNAP NAS!

When you then log in – mostly after a relatively long period of time since the last time – it’s pretty normal that there are also some actualizations/updates too, but they usually don’t have anything to do with your problems.
To make my admin live easier I installed the Qmanager software on my phone so I get push notifications for actualizatons/updates and can now install them timely and no longer have to wait for problems to find out about them. :wink:

Amazing. QNAP really can’t do that ? I always thought that was just because I have a very old QNAP device.

I have the E-Mail recommendations, but it is annoying as hell. I am responsible for multiple NAS devices and with Synology everything happens automatically. With QNAP it’s a 20 minute job every few months (especially since the device also recommends a reboot BEFORE upgrading and then another reboot). Guess what I will never be buying again :slight_smile:

From what Google tells me, Asustor ADM can also do automatic upgrades. Guess I’ll replace that QNAP piece of s… storage very soon!

Here is what is amazing. That you think that the QNAP is a POS because it won’t do automatic updates. That’s one feature. The QNAP in many ways is a superior box to the Synology. I would know since I own both. Yes the Synology interface is more slick. But the performance of the machine itself is bettered by the QNAP. I actually have my Synology set up to NOT do automatic updates. Haven’t you ever had a firmware update that hosed up your machine? The QNAP insures that this won’t happen by not doing them automatically. You decide if you want to apply the update or not and if you don’t like the notifications that new firmware is available then you can disable that too. How does this one feature make the QNAP a POS? Color me bewildered.

2 Likes

Thanks, Chris–finally getting around to replying. I found out that it isn’t related to a QNAP update, since I got the error message today and the QNAP says the firmware is up to date. I’m getting the error on both my iPhone and iMac so it’s not a controller issue. Here is the error message, followed by a screenshot of the QNAP dashboard indicating everything seems to be OK.

After I shut down and restarted the QNAP, Roon is again working. Here is the QNAP dashboard now.

This has been happening about 2 or 3 times a month pretty consistently, and it’s getting old. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I found out that I can set the QNAP to restart itself daily (I chose 2AM), so maybe that will help.

Best,
Mark

PS Not 100% certain of this, but it seems that a day or so before I get the message that Roon can’t contact the server, there is a brief dropout about 5 seconds after starting a track–frequent, but not consistent. Maybe that’s a clue??? (Most of my listening these days is Tidal albums followed by Roon radio.)

Mark

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.