Can you tell the difference between 96/24 and 44/16 and mp3?

Mark Waldrup who has produced hires albums for his own label and lectures in audio production has devised a test to see how easy it is to differentiate between resolutions.

http://www.realhd-audio.com/?p=6713

.sjb

1 Like

Thanks for the link. I signed up and am looking to the taking the challenge and seeing the results.

I’ve also signed up. I’d love to believe that high res’ audio is better quality, but I have my doubts. I’ll guess we’ll find out :slight_smile:

Although I signed up I also think that this “test” is doomed to fail because of the following:

“I spent all weekend converting the tracks using Sonic Studio’s professional software tool PROCESS to do the conversions. I took the native 96 kHz/24-bit PCM masters and downconverted them to 96 kHz/16-bit, 44.1 kHz/24-bits, and 44.1 kHz/16-bits (CD “Redbook” spec). I will also create constant bitrate MP3 versions at 320 and 256 kbps for those interested in compressed formats. Then I converted all of downconversions back to 96 kHz/24-bits so that all of them are precisely the same size. I have been very careful to ensure that they are the same volume.”

Since there are now up conversions and down conversions in many of the files there will be those who would say that these conversion steps have altered the sound of these files, thus making any useful comparisons impossible. People cling very tightly to their beliefs, right or wrong.