Cannot get Squeezlite to work

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Innuos 1.4.5

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Ethernet connection direct from Innuos Zen Mk3 to Devialet Expert

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
See above.

Description Of Issue
Turned on Core + Squeezelite in Innuos. Rebooted.

Turned on Enable Squeezelite in Roon

Then just get this:

I’m pretty sure you have to turn off Logitech media server in order for your Squeeze device to show up in Roon.

1 Like

I don’t have Logitech Media Server.

Did you follow the instructions from Innuos?

As far as I’m able to understand that topic, you no longer use RAAT to connect to the device. Instead you use Roon’s implementation of the SqueezeBox protocol to stream to the SqueezeLite player which then sends the stream via USB to the DAC (you may also have to configure your DAC in the Innuos setup). So your Ethernet connection can’t be used for the setup you want.

As this functionality is called “experimental” by Innuos and Roon doesn’t provide technical support for software SqueezeBox emulators, I’m going to move the thread to the Inmuos section of the forum.

1 Like

As far as I am aware I’m using RAAT.

I don’t have a usb connection in my system. Innuos has an RJ45 streamer output and that is connected directly to the Devialet streamer RJ45 input.

Squeezelite is for experimental Roon mode only and is not RAAT as its emulating a squeezbox and only works for usb connection or spdif to a DAC not over the network as the Innuos is the endpoint to a DAC. You need to also enable squeezbox support in Roon. To use RAAT with an Innuos you use the standard Roon implemention and then it will show up over the network. This makes the Innuos the Roon endpoint not the Devialet or just as a Roon server will send RAAT to the Devialet. You cannot use Squeezelite to the Devialet that’s not how it works. You would need an additional usb to Spdif converter attached to the Innuos and out to the Devialet.

Thanks, I don’t understand all of that, but I think you are suggesting that if I use a usb connection from the Innuos to the Devialet Expert I should be able to use the Squeezelite option. A little difficult seeing it is 25m away.

Only if the Devialet supports USB Audio input as a DAC this is not the same as a USB for connecting a drive or data stick, or you use a USB to Spdif converter not sure what you would gain though. Experimental mode is their to improve playback out of the Innous of it’s your streamer ,you already have RAAT streamer on the Devialet it likely won’t be any better unless it’s not a good implementation. A lot of people use the Innuos direct to DAC and this is supposed to be better than using the Native Roon bridge on the device not to other network devices. But like all things YMMV

Squeezebox streaming within Roon uses ‘slimproto’ http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/SlimProto_TCP_protocol, with some adoptions. I’m a bit uncertain about using ethernet (rj45) direct to Expert from Innous. If Roon could see the Expert (Expert connected to a switch, not directly to Innous) you’d see a AIR entry for the Expert in Roon. If an Expert Pro CI you’d also see RAAT for the Expert in Roon.
Is there no USB output on the Innous? The Expert acts as a DAC via it’s USB input.

There is a usb output, but I prefer not to use usb, not least because Devialet Expert does not auto-detect a signal like it does with ethernet or wireless. Also, see above, the Innuos is on another floor of the house to the audio system.

It is easy enough to change a few wires to see if I can get it to work using switched ethernet or move the unit to see if usb works.

Then you can’t use the experimental mode as I have said. You can only use the Innuos as server to send via RAAT to the Devialet. Squeezelite requites usb out to a DAC.

Then I’d try connecting the Expert to the same network as Roon via ethernet. It could also work with the Expert connected via wifi, but the best is ethernet with wifi on the Devialet disabled.
Which Devialet is it?

Does Innous have Roon installed or can one install Roon on Innous?

Its installed you have to switch it over to use Roon player (RAAT), Roon Experimental (squeezelite and uses the large memory buffer so it’s ram playback) or its own player that is also ram based. Many argue the experimental is way superior to its RAAT implementation when using USB. Its also Roon core.

Ah, I see. Then I may have given confusing advice to @Steven44. Hope he gets it sorted.

Innuos Zen is plug and play with Roon. Literally one click to select as Roon Core and you’re running.

I didn’t realise that the Squeezlite option is preferred only when using usb to a DAC. The only other option is an RJ45 socket for data over a Cat cable, which I use. It is galvanically isolated and there is an isolation transformer on the socket to eliminate any residual noise. The usb output has its own linear power supply so when I tried it was very clean.

Roon does not officially support Squeezelite in any form. Roon only supports Squeezebox hardware. Please see the official FAQ:

Squeezelite/Software endpoints

Roon does not support software implementations of squeezebox endpoints, and we do not test with them as part of our QA process. If you attempt to do this, you are on your own

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.