Cannot mount Roon formatted music drive on Mac

I just finished installing Rock on a NUC11PAHi7 (with the recommended Samsung 970 EVO Plus, and 16GB Crucial RAM). I also got a 4TB SSD mounted in an external case to connect via Thunderbolt. After Rock formatted the external drive, it will not mount on my Mac. Instead I get the message “The disk you attached was not readable by this computer” and suggests to either Eject, Ignore, or Initialize.

How can I transfer my audio files quickly to my music drive?

The linux format used by rock is not readable by MacOS. If you have an internal drive you must copy to it over the network.

1 Like

I had initially formatted the drive exFAT as I was under the impression that would be supported by ROCK as well, but it wasn’t recognized when I mounted it. Is there a trick to getting exFAT partitions to work with ROCK? I had just used Disk Utility.

Just to clarify, the only format that will work with ROCK for an Internal Drive is the ext4 format which Rock does when you push the Format Drive button.

You would format an External only usb drive exFAT.

Maybe I’m not understanding what you are trying to do, but, it sounding like you put a drive in teh NUC, formatted it, took it out and then put it in an enclosure and attached it to the Mac. This won’t work since MAC doesn’t read ext4. Likewise, formatting the drive exFAT and then putting it internally to the NUC will also not work.

Are you planning on using this drive as an internal drive? If yes, then put it into the NUC, run Format on the ROCK Web UI. And then copy the music over the network to the internal drive using the file manager of a different computer, like a Mac.

If you are planning for it to only being used externally via USB, then format it exFAT.

You can use the 3rd-party filesystem driver by Paragon to get extFS support on the Mac, it works very well.

4 Likes

You can plug an external exFAT formatted drive via USB into both Mac and rock.

You can internally mount the bare SATA drive in a NUC and use the Rock web admin page to format it; you’d then mount it in macOS and copy your music to it over the network.

Option 3, spend money on a utility you’ll probably only use once!

Using Paragon is an interesting idea. I might go this route if I can’t get an exFAT partition readable by both the NUC and my Mac. Thanks, @Suedkiez !

I intended to use an external drive (mounted via Thunderbolt) to the NUC to store all my music files. I’m guessing the issue I’m having is the Thunderbolt port then. The NUC sees it as internal storage and not external? So one solution would be to get a USB external case instead and use that.

That was my initial intent. I had formatted an external drive exFAT and connected it to the NUC via the Thunderbolt port but it was not recognized by ROCK.

I’ve been copying over the network for over 10 hours now and I’m still at the D’s. It’s excruciatingly slow. I also find SMB connections to be flaky under Sonoma.

Well, I update my collection on an almost daily basis, so it wouldn’t be a once only usage. I’m just loathe to buy yet another piece of software. Knowing Apple, the next OS update will break it and I’ll have to wait for an update from Paragon.

You could try a crossover cable between the two devices, they should link at 1 Gbit/s. The initial copy is the worst of course, your daily updates would possibly not be as intense.

So I did a test… I pulled out an old SSD in a USB-A enclosure and formatted it exFAT, then dropped a few folders of music on it and plugged it into my NUC. I was able to add the drive as a library and ROON was able to see all the files.

I tried the same test with my new drive, formatting it again to exFAT in the same fashion, and plugged it into one of the Thunderbolt ports on my NUC and it does not appear as an option to add as a library, and in the system status menu, it displays as an internal storage device.

According to the product page for the NUC, the Thunderbolt ports should be accessible for external drives. Is this a bug with the ROCK OS?

I"m not sure ROCK has drivers to recognize thunderbolt

As @Rugby says, Roon OS does not support Thunderbolt.

And you need to format the internal drive using Roon OS (it’s showing as “Not Ready”) - formatting it elsewhere and then putting it into your NUC doesn’t work - as you can see.

1 Like

It’s not a bug, it’s a ’not-implemented’ feature.

Thanks all. I’ve ordered a USB enclosure for my drive.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.